+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Formula Student 2005 Competition: Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

If you'll excuse me playing devil's advocate with my choice of examples, I think its about as appropriate as "best all-white team", "best all-male team" or "best all-christian team"!
    National bragging rights are best done informally (e.g., Canadian schools noting themselves as best Canadian finishers in Detroit...)

The concept of a formal trophy is rather silly, though, especially for established competitions like FSAE-A or F-Student.

It may make a bit more sense in the early days of FSAE-Japan, where local competition is likely to get shut out for a while. That said, as seen with FSAE-A, it doesn't take all that long for good local teams to rise to top-tier international contenders.

Congrats to Toronto! Always great to see my hometown teams do well, and Toronto's always been a great group, especially with their efforts at organizing the fall shootout.

They've always been one of my favourites for bringing the SAE Foundation Cup north for the first time. (Well, the best odds are my just going down and stealing it, but that's not particularly sportsmanlike, and probably illegal.)
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

What's up Mike?! U back in T.O.?
    Vinh Pham
    Toronto FSAE Alumni 01-04
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca
    2003 Formula Student Champs!

All in al I would just like to say that I would not recommend going to the event if coming from North America. It is too costly an event to go to and be discriminated against by the event staff at Formula Student.
    That's a little extreme. I can certainly empathise with dissatisfaction at the UK-specific awards, but there are only two of them (and one 'European' award) out of 33, and each of them have direct parallels to 'unrestricted' prizes of greater value.

As I was leaving it appeared some teams were being allowed a RE-RUN in endurance. There were an awful lot of UK teams in there and I hope its not just an effort to get more UK teams in the 'finished endurance' category.
    I don't think anybody's answered Marko's statement, way back on the first page of this thread.

The final session of the day was intended for teams which had not set sprint (autocross) times but were able to attempt endurance. I believe I heard that those teams were ineligible for endurance points, although that doesn't seem to be a requirement of the FSAE rules. (Edit: apparently I was wrong - all/nearly all teams that ran in this session were allowed to win points).

Additionally, a very small number of teams - including Turin (Torino) and Warwick - had set sprint times but missed their morning endurance slots, in our case due to a large oil leak in the start queue. These teams ran with a two-minute penalty on their endurance times, as dictated by FSAE rules.

There were no re-runs; ISAT, who retired from morning endurance, were accidentally started, but pulled off track after three laps when the mistake was noted.
    Simon
    Warwick Formula Student

yup, chalmers were there, with the smallest aluminium spindles ive ever seen. and yes the last endurance session was Not re-runs it was for those that didnt set a sprint on saturday. further the teams who entered at the end (like us) were still eligible for points.
    <body>
    http://www.formulastudent.strath.ac.uk &lt;--- naked ladies... i promise!
    </body>

I believe the problem with Chalmers was down to having a poorly mapped engine due to a lack of dyno time. There may have been more to it than that, but that was the main problem AFAIK

Ninja2
    2005 QFR Technical Advisor
    2004 Chalmers Racing Team Leader

Here some pics of the FS2005 competition.

http://www.pcm.unifi.it/FORMULA_STUDENT/ITA/Races.htm

Hi resolution pics are available on request.
    Firenze Race Team V2
    http://www.firenzerace.too.it
    DUCATI POWER at the UniversitÃ* di Firenze

WOW

Is this photo real or some photoshop work??

Also there are some pics of Graz University of Technology. I may be wrong on this because the photos don't show it that well but don't aero devices have to be in front of the rear of the rear tyres?

Eddie, rear wings must not extend beyond the rear tyre, diffusers can.

That fire looks better than ours in 03
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast