+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine Tools

Hey there, I'm a post-bac finance graduate headed back to school for a mechanical engineering degree starting this summer and I'm interested in FSAE.

I have no shop experience really except wrenching on my own toys and I realize that's a huge disadvantage. I would really like to be able to "jump in" and be useful as soon as I get to school.

Looking at local community college I see an intro to machine tools class...however there are 3 different versions of it...so I'm wondering how in-depth I need to go.

The first two levels (3 and 6 credits) have a lot to do with lathes and drill presses so I'm assuming those pretty essential.

The final level (9 credits) seems to include all of the above plus band saws and pedestal grinders.

Would it be worth it to take the 9 credit course?
    Or am I misdirected altogether and should I be looking for training in other tools?

Hey there, I'm a post-bac finance graduate headed back to school for a mechanical engineering degree starting this summer and I'm interested in FSAE.

I have no shop experience really except wrenching on my own toys and I realize that's a huge disadvantage. I would really like to be able to "jump in" and be useful as soon as I get to school.

Looking at local community college I see an intro to machine tools class...however there are 3 different versions of it...so I'm wondering how in-depth I need to go.

The first two levels (3 and 6 credits) have a lot to do with lathes and drill presses so I'm assuming those pretty essential.

The final level (9 credits) seems to include all of the above plus band saws and pedestal grinders.

Would it be worth it to take the 9 credit course?
    Or am I misdirected altogether and should I be looking for training in other tools?

Training with Mills, Lathes, Saws, etc. is definitely valuable in FSAE. Those skills are often learned while on the team; however, if you can gain those skills before hand, you will be a valuable asset.

Aside from machining, skills in CAD, FEA, programming, CFD, etc. are also pretty valuable.

With your finance background you will likely already be an asset to your team when it comes to cost reports, and other finance related tasks.

Being able to wrench is pretty beneficial as well. I've come across people that don't know a wrench from a socket or ratchet.

Is the 9 credit hour class a combination of the first two classes you mentioned? I would imagine that the final 9 credit hour class falls upon the content you learn in the first two classes. So in other words, are you sure that the first two classes aren't prerequisites?

Most people in 1st year Mechanical Engineering don't know a nut from a bolt. You have nothing to worry about, working on your own stuff probably puts you in the top 10% of your class that way (mabye this is just at my school, but I think not).

That being said, if you go in knowing what you are doing a little bit, you will get way more out of your degree.

I suggest trying everything you can, and getting good with Mill and Lathe if possible. Most other machine tools are pretty easy to pick up, and if you are on an FSAE team, there is bound to be someone who knows something (or is willing to monkey around trying to figure it out with you).
    University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports Alumni
    http://www.uwfsae.ca/

Yeah, it's what they call a variable credit class, so as long as I'm willing to put in the extra hours they'll pile the pedestal grinder and band-saw in there too.

I'm just curious if spending an extra 3 hours a week just to pick up those 2 tools is an efficient use of my time.

Thanks for mentioning the software- my copy of Solidworks should be validated soon and I'm really looking forward to diving into that. It's going to be a fun few months preparing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by curreyc2:
    I would really like to be able to "jump in" and be useful as soon as I get to school.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish all of our incoming members felt this way! There are some that I still don't their name because they show up once a week at meetings, sit in the very back, and leave right after.
    You are on the right track my friend.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

If you want to learn to machine, showing up in an SAE shop will be a (seemingly) crash course in machining. If you want to do a part and they have a part to do, then they'll probably show you how to run the machines and get you rolling.

If you wind up taking a machining course before getting there, then you're probably going to wind up being the best machinist on the team. Just knowing how to run a wrench and showing up more than once per week is the best way to get doing stuff on a team.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

If you're comfortable with hand tools and some hand-held power tools you'll probably pick up the band saw and grinders in your shop pretty easily. Honestly the trickiest thing about a big vertical band saw is learning how to coil up and uncoil the blades without them springing open and slasherizing everyone nearby (it's a big energetic expanding spring with teeth on it, they can be dangerous). With the grinder, it's about learning how to hold the parts so they don't get pulled out of your hands (point them 'down-hill') and about not loading a coarse wheel up with aluminum.

I'd do the 6 credit, and spend the extra time at the library looking for old shop technique books.

The 9 credit course might have you making more interesting things though, you might enjoy it more if you have the time to kill and the extra tuition for those 3 credits isn't much more expensive.

Knowing too much ahead of time is never bad.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

I wouldn't worry about the extra 3 hours. A bandsaw and grinder are pretty self explanatory. Plus, if the others are like my school, they won't let you run a laydown bandsaw unless you're an employee.

Instead of that extra 3 on machines, how about finding a welding class? Good welding is always in demand for FSAE, and takes more time to develop.

However, I did something similar to you, and showing up ready to learn as a more mature student will put you up at the top of the pile already. Freshman usually lack the drive and ability to complete tasks like a someone in your position. Keep it up and FSAE will be very rewarding.
    Lover of LeMons

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ,4lex S.:
    Most people in 1st year Mechanical Engineering don't know a nut from a bolt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither do most 1st year Mechanical Engineers in industry either. Depressing...
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast