+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE 2006 Competition: Detroit - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More.

Looked like a great showing of technology and creativity and the usual bad weather.

Congrats to RMIT on the win and everyone else who competed! Wish I could do it again myself!

~Adam
    Adam R. Reinke
    Northern Illinois University FSAE '02 '03 '04
    BorgWarner Turbo Systems '04 - Current

Cheers everyone for the kind words. We are all still a bit bewildered by it all - well actually I am the only one awake to be bewildered, the rest of the mob are still sleeping off all those all-nighters. Will report on their condition when they wake up....

Anyway, I'll start with a disclaimer since I see my name mentioned a few times above. Full credit must go to Grant, Deano and all the 2005/6 crew for what was a fantastic effort. They were the ones who have put in all the hard work, and fielded all those difficult questions from the judges. My personal input has been minimal this year and full credit should go where it is due. Well done lads, the success is well deserved.

We were just as gutted as the WA lads when we saw their car being pushed away from endurance. As we had said numerous times before the comp, if we could have pulled off an Oz 1-2 we wouldn't have cared which way the results read. Commiserations to you all, and thanks to both yourselves and the UoW lads for being such great competitors and for setting the standard in our own comp.

The competition was a real buzz and it was great to see such a high level of competition. It certainly was a shame that some of the prior favorites didn't make it through endurance, but there were also a lot of teams ready to take up the slack. (Take a look at the log-jam of teams scoring in the high 600's and 700's). They were saying at the ceremony that there was something like a near 50% finishing rate this year, so the competition is getting tighter.

Thanks to all those who took the time to come up and have a chat over the weekend. It was a really friendly and welcoming comp, we are looking forward to returning. And huge, huge thanks to Carly and all the Oakland crew for being such fantastic hosts. The lads couldn't have done it without you. I hope we can return the favor some day.

Masato and OFRAC, I doubt we could find enough budget to come to Japan this September, but certainly we would love to do the Japanese competition one day. Thank you for your kind words - and we look forward to seeing all the TDU lads in September. Go Flying Wombats!

No interaction with the Oakland Police at this stage, apart from nicking some water from their water-cooler on occasion. No run-ins with skunks, raccoons, geese, hamsters or any other forms of local wildlife either. Yet. Will report if there are any updates on that front too....

Cheers all, plane to catch.
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Oh, and to those who were asking - RMIT stands for Ride-on Mower Innovation Technologies. Apparently. Please contact us for all your grass-cutting needs.....
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Great job, guys. Amazing seeing the caliber of design and driving on some of these teams.

Colorado's pretty happy, 22nd is highest we've ever been. Plan on being much more competitive next year. And with more life-size Hasselhoff / Chuck Norris / etc cut outs!

Was sad to see UWA not finish endurance. Very tight car, cool team, great drivers.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Originally posted by Doggyollie:
    Anyone know how University of Arizona did?

Thanks
    University of Arizona.
    I wasn't there, but this is what I was told.
    20th in cost
    Was on the edge of making design finals, 16?
    2nd in Sales Presentation (Good job Cameron)
    Passed Tech,
    Blew the engine during the sound check (2 years in a row), rebuilt it over night, had it running in the morning, Needed a new fuel pump and couldn't find someone to lend an inline, (already on the backup and were losing pressure over 5k RPM).. Didn't do any of the dynamic events. The car was in the 430lb range when in left Tucson, So it was the lightest and (other than the engine), most reliable car UofA has made. Everyone is very excited for the FSAE WEST competition, and I'll see them there. I was told to put a thankyou out to Brian and the Guys at PE, they came through again and figured out whats wrong with the Suzuki Sensors, now the engine starts and runs first try,,, as long as we can feed it gas.

And they won the Honda 600RR in the raffle, so I think next year might be time to junk the Suzuki that has given us so many problems, but we'll see.

Jon, Jealous Alumni.

Does anyone have video of their sales presentation? I'm always curious how other teams did it in comparision to ours.

Anyone want to share?

~Adam
    Adam R. Reinke
    Northern Illinois University FSAE '02 '03 '04
    BorgWarner Turbo Systems '04 - Current

Congrats to my boys at RMIT. Skinny, Deano, BJG, Jake, John, Baz, Lee, Brad, and Geoff... we were glad to host you guys and good luck at West!

Tough break for WA.... you cant win them all
    The wost part is that we all got beat by a team that is 3 cylinders short of a "real engine."
    Best of luck to all, and keep in touch!

Zach
    OU FSAE

Dan G, can we see larger pics of the overall scores, and/or can you tell me where TTU placed?
    JTK2

Tenn Tech Univ
    Golden Eagle MotorSports
    2004-current

I think Helsinki require a big pat on the back! Well done lads for flying the flag for the Euro teams! I will definitely be looking out for you lads at the FS comp.

Are you going to (or to be honest, heard anything about) the Baltic open? Know any details?
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

Great work Helsinki! 5th place is impressive!

Jonnie (same Jonnie that visited us last year?), Helsinki will host the Baltic Open this year. The beginning of september is the latest bid...
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast