+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very Unofficial Overall Results 2007 FSAE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by formula_wally:
    Is it true that a track worker tried to pick up Ox-Brooks car by the control arm during the driver change, and bent it? I was there but we were focused on setting our car out then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we came in for our driver change one of the track workers spotted a tiny spot of oil under the car. So they decided to pick the car up and have a look to see if they could find the source of the leak (before deciding whether we could go back out).

We told the track workers where to pick the car up from (near the uprights) and despite this when they picked it up one of them grabbed the middle of the lower front right wishbone and bent it pretty severely.

They went on to toss us out due to the drops of oil (even though the couldnt find the source)and we only noticed the bent suspension once we got it back to the paddock.

The guys from SAE appolgised for the damage which was something. All-in-all pretty dissappointing though as it was looking like a top 5 finish for us had we made the distance. When we got the car back to the paddock we still hadn't seen another drop of oil.

Solution for UK = run an undertray with an absorbant pad to catch any phantom leaks.

The team was still very upbeat though as we'd proved the car was quick (Fastest non-winged car in AutoX!) and with only a bit more running and development we know we can fight for the win in the UK.

Thanks to all who helped us out over the week.
    Gavin Ward
    Oxford Brookes Racing
    www.BrookesRacing.co.uk

After thinking about this further and re-reading my post I've realised this didnt come off as I had meant it.

I'd like to clarify:

1. The car wis picked off the ground after suggestion by a track worker but after full permission by the team. It was a situation of Track worker: "we're happy to pick the car up and look underneath to try and see if we can find the source" and we agreed.

2. The driver remained in the car while it was lifted (weighing about 175 lbs).

3. The workers decided there was enough oil on the underside of the car to warrant a DQ.

4. It should be noted that as the situation became more and more desperate a number of other trangressions were committed by our team members that likely went unpunished because we were DQ'd.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Many thanks,

Gavin
    Gavin Ward
    Oxford Brookes Racing
    www.BrookesRacing.co.uk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Solution for UK = run an undertray with an absorbant pad to catch any phantom leaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giant nappy - I like!

Did you find the source back at base in the end?
    --
    Marko

Hehehe... yeah I think the most likely source was the valve cover... in the end we found some oil residue trailing down the block from just over the 3rd cylinder.

Life goes on eh... but I will say although it was tough to take at the time (as I'm sure everyone can imagine) the track guys were really good in how they explained it to us why they couldnt let us back out. At the end of a day a leak is a leak and thats the rules.

Giant nappy to the rescue!
    Gavin Ward
    Oxford Brookes Racing
    www.BrookesRacing.co.uk

UofG sprang a surprise valve cover leak the morning of enduro. Turns out that the vent hole for the catch can was too small and the crankcase was pressurizing. Regardless, they made a simple sheet metal pan with rolled up edges, just in case. I would suggest a "catch pan" to anyone now.

It was a mysterious shift problem that took them out of enduro (stuck in neutral).
    Ben Beacock
    Alumni
    '03,'04(AWD),'05(AWD) Gryphon Racing - University of Guelph

or make a diaper for the whole car.

big undertray + absorbent material = diaper
    Bryan Hise

"The price of winning is always the reduction, if not the elimination, of play time. However, since racing is basically playing any way you want to look at it (real people make their livings by doing something they hate), we cant bitch

Careful about undertrays to catch oil. I've known a team to get DQ'd when a few drops of oil showed up under their diff on the tray. The leak was so slow it might not have been noticed, but the tray held it for the judges to find.
    -Steve Yao
    UNM LoboMotorsports '03-'05
    UWashington Formula SAE '06-'08

Lawrence Tech faulted out after 3 laps. We sheared the bolts on our dif and...lost all of our 'go'.

The reason behind it all though, was the use of "shiny" socket head cap screws, instead of your normal black oxide cap screws.. There is such a difference between grade 3 and grade 8!

My stomach turned when I heard we used "the shiny ones" in the dif and i knew exactly what the problem was..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The reason behind it all though, was the use of "shiny" socket head cap screws, instead of your normal black oxide cap screws.. There is such a difference between grade 3 and grade 8! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whenever I would see non AN/NAS or grade 8+ hardware in the shop or at the track, I would indescriminately throw it away. Didn't matter whether its a brand new box of 200, or if its holding something onto the car. Eventually the rest of your team learns just not to buy it.
    Buckingham

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would indescriminately throw it away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

amen
    Bryan Hise

"The price of winning is always the reduction, if not the elimination, of play time. However, since racing is basically playing any way you want to look at it (real people make their livings by doing something they hate), we cant bitch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast