+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Michigan 2009 Competition: Pictures, stories & more.

The sun has just risen on the day when many of us are travelling to (or are already in) Brooklyn, MI, for the 2009 FSAE-M competition.

This is the second year that FSAE-M is being held at Michigan International Speedway.

See you all there in the next day or so! (Our car will be easy to find - it will be the one made of zip ties.)

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Oh boy, just a graphics project, final paper for music, and final exam for math left, along with packing my belongings for the summer, then packing the truck! Hopefully we'll be rolling out of here before 7pm tonight, although that depends on how many people show up to pack the truck. Either way, I can't wait for it to be tonight! See you guys there!
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

Think you guys can make it from Brooklyn to Brooklyn in under 12 hours? (You'll probably cook it through the Lincoln Tunnel, but whatever....) Don't hurt yourselves!

Drew

I'll take your zip tie challenge. We're currently trying to reassemble the car after paint, and powder coat along with packing the truck and trailer. Should be on the road by tonight.

I'll take your re-assembly challenge.

As of 9:30am right now, engine is still not running on the dyno.

(the shit show continues)

Best,
    Drew

Good luck, we've spent the last year and a half up until spring break fighting engine and computer issues. Now we just halve to figure out how to get the sound down to a point of passing tech (stupid single cylinders).

We are using the same muffler as last year, and we were close to failing from induction noise rather than exhaust. Bigger (existant) plenum this year and not having the TB pointed at the mic should cure that. We passed at 110.0db last year.

I'll have an extra of our trick Ti muffler if you guys need to give it a whirl.

Red Bull rep chick should be here any time with our sponsored cases of product for comp, that should liven things up when we start throwing our stuff in the trailer.

EDIT: It just occurred to me to be a little worried that Mikey will beat us there!

Best,
    Drew

We just repacked our muffler (the packing was completely shot) so we'll see how that helps. We were a couple of db away before repacking and we have a couple of other tricks we can try

Originally posted by Drew Price:
    We are using the same muffler as last year, and we were close to failing from induction noise rather than exhaust. Bigger (existant) plenum this year and not having the TB pointed at the mic should cure that. We passed at 110.0db last year.

I'll have an extra of our trick Ti muffler if you guys need to give it a whirl.

Red Bull rep chick should be here any time with our sponsored cases of product for comp, that should liven things up when we start throwing our stuff in the trailer.

EDIT: It just occurred to me to be a little worried that Mikey will beat us there!

Best,
    Drew
    Haha, I've already downed several sponsored Red Bulls on this second-to-last of many all-nighters (Praying I won't have a reason to stay up all night again until Saturday night once we're there).

That paper is done. Time to learn a semester's worth of math in 90 minutes, woooooo!

The graphics project will get done in Michigan, it isn't due till Thursday

Good luck guys!

Oh, we're also going to compete in the zip-tie challange. We have gone through a bag of 1000 pretty quickly.

I've also got a pretty trick muffler setup... we'll still pass noise if the judges can't put the dB meter in the proper position, right? There may be a race car in the way lol.... hopefully it won't be an issue (fingers crossed). You guys can see what I mean at MIS
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

So for those waking up and heading to the track tomorrow 1st off good luck and wish I was one of you all but second can you do some research? TUG has "something" on the back of their car that looks like a gear box but Im fairly sure they are using a chain and sprocket (SOP). Can someone figure out wtf that thing is? or maybe someone from TU Graz can tell us! Im very interested and will not be able to get to Mich until Friday afternoon to check it all out.
    Masters in FSAe, minor in Mechanical Engineering.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast