+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First time chassis

Hybrid View

Hi everybody,
    It's my first time to participate in the FSAE and I'm going to be the Frame group leader.
    I don't have any idea about how to start in the right way, what books to read, what programs to use for CAD and Load Path.
    Is there any advice that can help?

Originally posted by Sameh:
    Chassis is the last thing to finish it's design and first thing to manufacture! You must be sure everything is mounted correctly and packaged inside with no random load paths.

And since you're in Egypt, start searching for tubes sourcing today's morning! If you've finished your design and can't find the tubes, or you're underestimating the time it should take to arrive, the whole project will turn into a nightmare and you'll have the same problem of going to the competition with a ready-to-test vehicle!

It costed us, the Alexandrian Team, 11.5k EGP and 1.5 months with too much cursing with the shipping company all around.
    I'd say finish its design early and make it early, always nice to have something fixed when doing changes
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2011-2012
    Tyres and Vehicle dynamics
    Suspension team head 2010

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...5607348/m/1956095883

There is a list of books for all systems. I find that books are the best way to start learing about a particular system.
    Adam
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Kettering University, it's students and administrators, or our sponsors.

set goals for weight, stiffness,,,etc. and make sure to package things correctly. then you are ready to go (after making a decent budget and market survey to meet those goals)

Check for materials locally.

If you need any advice send me a PM, i was in last year's team in Cairo University.
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2011-2012
    Tyres and Vehicle dynamics
    Suspension team head 2010

you can find all what you want in FSAE rules and also you can find great information in Mr.Pat column.
    define your boundaries (budget-weight-stiffness) and work based on it.
    packaging is important but it depends on your mates co-operation.

don't worry chassis will stand all loads , i think it never happened failure in chassis during any competition (anyone correct me if i'm wrong)

AUMotorsports Design Team Head 2012
    AUMotorsports
    2012 Design Head
    2013 Design Head

hope for the best, plan for the worst

Originally posted by Mohamed Adel:
    Hi everybody,
    It's my first time to participate in the FSAE and I'm going to be the Frame group leader.
    I don't have any idea about how to start in the right way, what books to read, what programs to use for CAD and Load Path.
    Is there any advice that can help?
    Which university you are from? You can find help from Cairo and Alex universities to help you out.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

No one asked about the status of his team and their background on automotive engineering as if they have the experience already.

While he seems to have read a bit he needs to have a meeting and understand whats what.

I'd do it if I have some free time, but work load is huge day and night sometimes without my one-day weekend.

P.S. Mohammed Adel may you introduce yourself and your team to us?
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

The FSAE bible. Every successful team follows the guidelines in this pdf.

http://students.sae.org/compet...es/2013fsaerules.pdf
    Macke

Btw I'm talking about space frame type

Chassis is the last thing to finish it's design and first thing to manufacture! You must be sure everything is mounted correctly and packaged inside with no random load paths.

And since you're in Egypt, start searching for tubes sourcing today's morning! If you've finished your design and can't find the tubes, or you're underestimating the time it should take to arrive, the whole project will turn into a nightmare and you'll have the same problem of going to the competition with a ready-to-test vehicle!

It costed us, the Alexandrian Team, 11.5k EGP and 1.5 months with too much cursing with the shipping company all around.

Alexandria University Motorsports Team
    Team Leader and Technical Director 11-12
    Fuel intake 09-10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast