Thread: Monash in hot water

Originally posted by Z:
    This is more to my taste...

Z
    Nicely put
    Regards
    Jon

Claude,

Cheeky question, in the spirit of this conversation (rest assured I am a great admirer of your work!):

What would be your response if a university barred you from presenting a seminar on their campus, on the basis of your somewhat salacious jokes?
    ----
    Paul Achard
    McGill Racing Team

Originally posted by Paul Achard:
    Claude,

Cheeky question, in the spirit of this conversation (rest assured I am a great admirer of your work!):

What would be your response if a university barred you from presenting a seminar on their campus, on the basis of your somewhat salacious jokes?
    then i would urge that team to find somewhere else to have Claude come talk to them

Have to remember that there is a difference between an individual and an organization. The organization represents the school and as such...some may take their actions to reflect on the school. Vs Claude is acting upon his own accord and anything that he says/does reflects on his person, not a university.

As much as most of us like to look at a nice set of...er...wings...or even during interviews from companies or publications, we always have to be careful how we represent the universities we come from.

stuff like this is such a fine line that's always laced with being so damn PC...grumble grumble...
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

In 2009 at FSAE-Formula ATA Italy there were two "gender trouble" events.

A team from central Europe had a nice she-member wearing a nice orange evening dress.
    In an evening party it would be normal. It was not offensive. We feel it simply misplaced.
    At the end of dynamic events we joked about it making some pictures with our car and a she-hot-dressed male team-mate. I feel sorry I can't publish that pics. I may get killed.

The second event was the Miss Formula ATA award. That was pathetic. Our bearded pit-babe was not so brave to get on the podium to try to win, that was a pity!
    An other german guy dress a wig and tried to compete.
    The selection of candidates was done by claims.
    At the end it was a derby between german area and latin area. It was not a beautiful show.
    Of course our team was able to win its first award in an international competition at its second year.
    Luckily last year we won FSG Media Award to cover the previous award...

I'm living in a country famous for the Vatican and the night parties of our previous prime minister (I think do you heard something about "bunga bunga"). Many people here feels the previous things normal so I can't blame people who chooses to use a pitbabes in FSAE.

I simply hope Monash can continue with its work smoothly.

"And the pitbabes don't work at all"

PS-1: I appreciate FSAE because different culture meet each others.
    PS-2: see you @ Hockenheim.
    Lorenzo Pessa

D-Team UniPisa (alumni of E-Team - Università di Pisa)
    FSG & FSAE-I 2009-2010

The sexism aspect has been discussed enough, so I'll take a different angle.

Putting an attractive woman on, in or near a Formula car is an easy publicity stunt. It's also a "flat" stunt in that it only really serves one purpose: get attention.

While doing outreach and engagement work for my team, we talked about projects like this. It's pretty normal, and I assume many other teams consider the same thing -- quick photos, calendars. But, really, if there's no substantial goal other than "get attention," why bother?

Not only is your marketing/PR team putting your image at risk -- because, even if the group is small, a couple of loud, offended people can do serious damage -- and in a position where you'll have to waste resources cleaning up the mess, your team isn't contributing to overall progression.

There should be some semblance of community care and investment. Put your own opinions about shallow tactics to rest, and think bigger; be outside yourselves. Respect your image and that of the community's.

"It happened again." Well, remember to think about publicity with more depth. Put more thought into how you project AND WHY. And...don't screw up again.

Anthony
    Communications
    Global Formula Racing
    '07-'11

I have to ask this question, if the girl in the picture didn't feel that this was sexiest, degradation to woman-kind, exploitation, and all that other bs, than why is everyone else? I mean clearly if she had a problem with it she wouldn't have taken the picture.

I do agree however that Monash should have known better with previous team's history with this kind of thing. Although half naked women in racing is hardly a new thing.
    Carlos Vargas
    Florida Tech FSAE

I also have to add that she is showing less than a woman at the beach who wears a bikini, so where's everyone saying that women wearing bikini's is sexiest and degrading?
    Carlos Vargas
    Florida Tech FSAE

Originally posted by cvargas:
    I have to ask this question, if the girl in the picture didn't feel that this was sexiest, degradation to woman-kind, exploitation, and all that other bs, than why is everyone else? I mean clearly if she had a problem with it she wouldn't have taken the picture.

I do agree however that Monash should have known better with previous team's history with this kind of thing. Although half naked women in racing is hardly a new thing.
    Yeah, but I thought FSAE was engineering 1st and racing 2nd. How many teams really believe that they are a racing team here?
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

The question is not 'are you in a race team?' but 'are you a reasonable human?' Having a problem with a confident woman using her God/Buddha/Allah/Darwin/whatever given assets for both her and her friends benefit to the detriment of NOBODY indicates no. There are some that say that the image would stop potential female newcomers to the team, but i think the fact that Monash was led by a female for the last couple of years would kinda negate any such sentiments.

Grow up people, this is absurdity.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast