+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Monash in hot water

http://www.theage.com.au/victo...-20120723-22kbb.html

I cant believe this has happened again.....
    Jon O'Neill

Advisor-UTS Motorsports, Sydney, Australia
    www.utsmotorsports.com

I figured something was up when they took it down, as well as the one from the F1's.

It's pretty crazy. People really seem to be to offended by things these days. They probably don't realise the amount of time and effort that goes into FSAE, and how they have spent over a year designing and building this car and are just trying to get some good promotional pictures and have some fun inbetween the two European comps.

Seriously, have they never seen motorsport before. Why try to attack the work of a bunch of volunteer students, when all other catagories do it and don't make the news about it.

http://www.blogcdn.com/uk.auto...etty-590mt011211.jpg

http://cdn3.worldcarfans.co/2009/9/medium/8628675.jpg

http://thepitwalk.files.wordpr...bursting-bustier.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/...451_ce31d6d2e0_z.jpg

I understand that, yeah, you could find the subject of the photo objectionable, but really they're just trying to get some promotion with a photoshoot and the photo in question is not at all racey compared to some modeling photo's or catwalk parades that I've seen, which no one seems to complain about.

Note: All views expressed by me are in no way the views of Wollongong University or UOW FSAE, which may differ.

Cheers,
    Nathan Tarlinton
    UOW FSAE 2010 - 2013

No offense to Monash--but if you are getting money from a body that has to be as politically correct as possible (a.k.a. many universities), you don't post pictures like this.

Yes--motorsport is full of these things....but they also aren't likely getting their sponsorship dollars (and space to work) from the types of groups that help FSAE teams.

I hope this one just breezes over them after a slap on the wrist or whatever.

Also--did Stuttgart's Greenteam newest photo on their fbook page get taken at the same time? The model looks oddly familiar...

Ben

I feel really sorry for these guys, working very hard for more than a year and when they try to have some fun everyone jumps on them.

As said the School can tell them to stop doing that and they have every right to as the "club" belongs to them theoretically and they are one of the supporters.

but i just hate the feminist crap that is being thrown all over with the girls claiming "it is too hard to be taken seriously" i just don't get that, this is a model modelling it has nothing to do with anything else if anything a picture like this with some PR work would do the team well in the business presentation and overall when they talk to potential sponsors! if you want to be taken seriously act seriously, i don't think guys are judged based on other guys behavior and the same applies for the opposite sex!

As said schools who oppose this can tell the teams not to do it, but i just don't get how this is offending
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2011-2012
    Tyres and Vehicle dynamics
    Suspension team head 2010

Originally posted by MileyCyrus:

Seriously, have they never seen motorsport before. Why try to attack the work of a bunch of volunteer students, when all other catagories do it and don't make the news about it.

I understand that, yeah, you could find the subject of the photo objectionable, but really they're just trying to get some promotion with a photoshoot and the photo in question is not at all racey compared to some modeling photo's or catwalk parades that I've seen, which no one seems to complain about.
    This would be fine if they were in the real world, but University and Student politics is quite divorced from reality.
    They done goofed.

"It's hard enough to be taken seriously" --
    socially awkward female engineering student.

Honestly, that's the kind of response you get from a meter maid or female cop who tries to play bully by saying that she wants to be treated like a number. 867-5309. There, Jenny. You are now a number and do not have to be offended by a photo that combines the beauty of how functional that car looks with it's sharp corners, angled side pods, and massive wings against the curvacious chassis of the female who sits atop the rear wing. I would say this picture is tasteful (although, the cleavage is a bit out there).

We care about what we do, this is important to each and every single one of these teams. This, of course, is preaching to the choir, but a picture like this is not a move made by a team that feels "above the law" or "sloppy and careless". This is a move made by a team trying to get their message out about what they do and done in a way that is shown to be acceptable in the world around them. Unfortunately, as already pointed out, political entities do not live in the real world, but a world dominated by special interests, bullys, and people who complain loud enough that some miscellaneous, harmless fun makes them angry because they have a sharpie in their pooper.

I demand to replace this wonderful PR picture with a picture of THE Rex Chan posing with the car.
    I don't think the response would have been anywhere near as out of proportion as it is now. Maybe that would even show that the students have mastered their "equality and diversity training" by having different racial groups and male students pose as well.

*grumble grumble grumble....kids these days...grumble grumble*
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Originally posted by Ben Kolodner:

Also--did Stuttgart's Greenteam newest photo on their fbook page get taken at the same time? The model looks oddly familiar...

Ben
    Yes, both pictures were made after the Formula Student Austria competition. There were three "models" who posed in/on/with all the cars if the team wanted to.

To be honest, I don't like these kind of pictures. Motorsport and especially FSAE should try to get away from this image...

The university seems to be scared that their image could be damaged by the team. But hey, if there wouldn't be MMS, I wouldn't even know that there is a Monash university in Australia...
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

This is rediculous. To say it is disrespectful to women is to imply that the women who participate are necessarily stupid, as they are complicit with said disrespect. I think that is more offensive.

Try to get away from this image??? The image is of (if i understand correctly) a very successful Australian team combining with a foreign person to create a global product (in this case promotional material). As MCoach said, get Rexchan Likesthis to model on the car and see what sort of outrage ensues...

Meanwhile, in other parts of the world, women aren't allowed to drive cars.... (are we now saying that in more civilised places they shouldn't be allowed to sit on them?)
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Sorry for Monash but in my opinion the guy who took this picture (or let the picture be taken) and the guy who decide to publish it (or let it published) did not exercise enough good judgement.

You can argue as long as you want about the right or wrong of this kind of picture but at the end the controversy which is born from it makes it a no winner game. It is a distraction which takes the outside observer attention away from the wonderful engineering, problem solving, learn-by-doing and team building challenges that ALL FS / FSAE teams face and of which all participating students benefit from in their education process.

Also FSAE / FS cannot be compared to racing; it is an engineering and project management competition based on a race car but design, testing and development but it is not racing. If a professional racing team boss agrees with this kind of pictures or asks for them, then it is an ethical problem that belongs to him. When your "boss" is your university department head or school dean you should know that such kind of picture will create controversy.

That being said, I have a great respect for Monash guys (and for many other FS / FSAE teams). Their inventiveness, their engineering approach, their organization, their team spirit is an example for many. They now have to take responsibility for their action. I hope they will get out of this with just a big bruise on their head.

Last comment: Any FSAE / FS team could be benefit from more girls' involvement in their team. Whether it is on team building or engineering solution female students often offer perspectives, good judgement (6th sense?) that most of the guys do not always have. I bet the majority of the girls would not approve such picture and could make them reluctant to get involved in FS / FSAE team. This world is already macho enough.

My 2 cents observations on a difficult subject. Frankly I would prefer to argue about roll centers or yaw inertia

Claude
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Oh not again...

In a world where one of the first thing they teach you if you are doing a marketing course at any university, is that sex sells. These universities will also encourage their Formula teams to do as much marketing as they can to increase sponsorship and advertise the school to the world. So I find it extemely hypocritical for them to then turn around and lash out at things like this.

I'm not saying that I'm all for this sort of thing, I'd perhaps err on the side of being more conservative with the amount of "exposure," let's be honest, if she was wearing a ball gown, wedding dress or similar there probably wouldnt be an issue. But in a world were half of adertisement seems to be based on some form or degree of lust, and no-one is kicking up all that big a fuss, I think it's ridiculous to criticise.

An interesting fact is that every year my university sends our team to the Autosport expo in Birmigham (UK), to market our team, try to raise sponsorship and network with professionals (usually a written report of the trip is required of each student). Now this gathering like many others is full of so called "booth babes," there are entire galleries online dedicated to them, and our university is sending us there saying: "Go learn from the professionals, and try to sell yourselves to them as best you can." I can bet you that we would be subject to huge amounts of disciplinary action if we did anything like the subject in question.

"There are three things in the world that deserve no mercy, hypocrisy, fraud, and tyranny. "
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast