+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First year cars

Okay a bit of a rant but I've been reading the topics on this forum and I'm not feeling the positive energy from the north or south.

Now I might not be an expert but where in the rules does it say that a first year car must be junk pile that never runs? A good car can be built and designed in 9 months; I've seen a good example. It might not be flashy but it works and sets you up for future years. It takes a lot of hours and a good grasp of the basics.

To all you first year team I say channel your chi and aim high. What say ye?
    Brent

3rd world solutions for real world problems.

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

Okay a bit of a rant but I've been reading the topics on this forum and I'm not feeling the positive energy from the north or south.

Now I might not be an expert but where in the rules does it say that a first year car must be junk pile that never runs? A good car can be built and designed in 9 months; I've seen a good example. It might not be flashy but it works and sets you up for future years. It takes a lot of hours and a good grasp of the basics.

To all you first year team I say channel your chi and aim high. What say ye?
    Brent

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

good post Moke

i'm with you, i reckon u just need a good bunch of switched on people and the world is your oyster!

speaking of oysters.....did u ever produce that video? would love a copy!

cheers

ash
    The edge is not the limit it is mearly the beginning!

Deakin University

There's no reason a first year team can't build a good, or even great car. FYT's shouldn't shortcut or make sacrifices just because it's their first year.

That being said, its probably a good idea to avoid a turbo system, electronic traction control, or the use of a flux capacitor. FYT's efforts are probably best used toward succesful completion of their design, and then a healthy month or three of testing/repairs/improvements.

does that include (since i just finished our design report) Carnegie Mellon's "innovative cone and ring throttle?" in place of a flux capacitor?
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

I would highly recommend as primary concerns of first year teams to set up the structure of the team, develop a team culture, create a design heirarchy with respect to vehicle systems and setting up a standard design process with the goal of getting well thought out designs with technical merit analyzed, manufactured, tested, installed, and tested again.
    Dan Nauts
    Washington State University Formula SAE

You ready for micro yet Mike?

I'm bringing a few more trucks and some new guys this year.

See you in April.

Moke,

I agree completely. The reason why most people are giving this advice is the fact that we see so many first year teams under prepared for the competition. They aim for cars with 4wd, 4ws, turbo etc. and fall flat on their face or just run out of time and drive the car for the first time in the brake test. You need to keep it reasonably simple and get it done very early, that doesn't mean it has to be a junk pile.

Not to be arrogant but in 2001, at uow-racing's first comp, we were 232 kg won the autocross, came second in design and finished second overall only 7 points behind the winners RIT. It can be done. There is nothing stopping any team finishing in the top 10 or getting in the design finals, its up to the team to make it happen.

Another thing people forget is even if you finish the enduro you may have a time too slow to record any points. Car speed comes with experience, that's another reason to get driving super early.

Hey guys,

I'm President of VCU's FormulaSAE team and we're trying to start up an FSAE project for the 2006 competition. I've heard about many teams trying to fabricate a car outside of their limits and as a president, I am dedicated to keeping our car simple and feasible. So if our team pulls through in the next year, I'll be seeing you guys in Pontiac!
    VCU Formula SAE (formulavcu@gmail.com)
    Project Started: Oct 14, 2004

I agree with most replies in parts. Look at our car for example. It weighed 260kg, had nothing too special, a common motor and setup. We used a lot of off the shelf parts, which we knew worked and we tested every part of the car before we decided to use it. It became a build and then design process, but we made a very nice 1st year car (well we think so).

To the new teams I say a basic running car is still a running car. You'll need to make comprises. And nothing replaces hard work and I don't mean a few all nighters but 2
    months of 120 hour weeks.

On the Moke Tv DVD, we need more computer power, editing is a killer.
    Brent

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast