+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doccument Server

Any teams out there have a server setup for their team? I've currently got a simple FTP server setup for our use and it serves as a great tool for keeping documents all in one place.

One thing that I don't like however is that it doesn't force the user to check in and check out items/projects and doesn't keep track of revisions and so forth.

It appears like solidworks has a solution that runs off of a microsoft server but those can be a bit hardware intensive.

Sharepoint is also another alternative but again runs off of a MS server.

One thing that I use at work is something called team foundation server. Granted its for code and software dev. but the idea is great.

CREO also offers a solution but doesn't allow so much for different file types, like solid files and EES files...etc.

I'm just curious what or if you guys use anything. The nice part about forcing a check out/check in is that it keeps any changes from being made when its checked out and ensures that whatever is on the server is up to date.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

In the last 4 years, we have used: a local hard drive, Drop Box, Sugarsync, FTP server (local server in our room), and finally now we use something called Own Cloud. We just started using it, but it seems pretty good. Basically it's a glorified FTP with better interface than something like FileZilla, and it has a bunch of features like a calendar that you can link with your phone and a spot to keep contact information.

As for technical details, all I know is that our files are saved on a hard drive on our own server, which I guess serves as a sort of "cloud" (hence the name). The pricing structure seems to be based on traffic (amount uploaded/downloaded). I can't really say more about it since I was not the one to set it up.

If you want supreme document control with check in/out and revision history and all that fancy stuff, Sharepoint is your deal. I use it at work (although an old version), and it is actually really good at what it does. But, it's expensive and hosted on a MS server, like you said. Haven't investigated Solidworks PDM(?), but it seems like the right way to go for keeping CAD files organized. People can still download and save a working copy of anything to thier own computer even with Sharepoint, though, so the item on the server may not always be the most up to date. I think the best way to ensure that is to just do your best to make sure everyone is uploading their crap once a week or so.

Regardless, having thought about this a fair bit in the past, I don't think there is one perfect tool for a small organization like an FSAE team. You just need to find one or two that work and do what you need, then get everyone on board.
    Owen Thomas
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

Originally posted by Owen Thomas:
    In the last 4 years, we have used: a local hard drive, Drop Box, Sugarsync, FTP server (local server in our room), and finally now we use something called Own Cloud. We just started using it, but it seems pretty good. Basically it's a glorified FTP with better interface than something like FileZilla, and it has a bunch of features like a calendar that you can link with your phone and a spot to keep contact information.

As for technical details, all I know is that our files are saved on a hard drive on our own server, which I guess serves as a sort of "cloud" (hence the name). The pricing structure seems to be based on traffic (amount uploaded/downloaded). I can't really say more about it since I was not the one to set it up.

If you want supreme document control with check in/out and revision history and all that fancy stuff, Sharepoint is your deal. I use it at work (although an old version), and it is actually really good at what it does. But, it's expensive and hosted on a MS server, like you said. Haven't investigated Solidworks PDM(?), but it seems like the right way to go for keeping CAD files organized. People can still download and save a working copy of anything to thier own computer even with Sharepoint, though, so the item on the server may not always be the most up to date. I think the best way to ensure that is to just do your best to make sure everyone is uploading their crap once a week or so.

Regardless, having thought about this a fair bit in the past, I don't think there is one perfect tool for a small organization like an FSAE team. You just need to find one or two that work and do what you need, then get everyone on board.
    I quite like the sharepoint architecture as well, revisioning, checkout history, locked documents, etc. I realize that people can share a working copy but you can set it to require checking out to work on it or even to download a local copy. Just looking into getting some more structure put together for the team.

Our FTP is a freenas box that doubles as my home server. single core processor, like 2gb of ram and just a slough of hard drives. Works excellent but again not near as revisiony.

just might have to build a windoz box that will handle the server and give it a whirl. i3's are cheap and so is ram. Already got the hardrives. I might do this sometime this year and let you guys know whats what.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

We have used FTP/freenas on the past, but there were problems when multiple team members worked on CAD parts simultaneously. Last year the team switched to Dropbox, which I believe worked much better.

SVN / Subversion

Hi everybody,

we used to have a simple FTP. Advantage was its simplicity, but there is no kind if document-management. So you could not go back to an older version, you could hardly see, who had done what, no locking etc.

We also took a shot at the systems that the CAD-Companies provide. Looked at Siemens and PTC, actually tried the PTC one. (Big Thanks to PTC for making that possible!!) That stuff has lots of useful features, but our people could never really get a hang of it. I should mention that a few month before we switched with our E-Mail and stuff to Google Apps for Education. So we had practically two groupware-tools at the same time and people did not really want to change again. Bad luck. I still believe these kind of systems would be the best choice, but if you do, do it all the way and not mix it with other tools. Also provide lots of training for your members. It would be ideal if you could get you university to host such a systems and use it in class. Be aware: These systems are quite complex so introducing them is no quick process. Prepare well because you will have a tight timeframe for your people to master the tool - there is still a car to be developed...

Right now we use SVN / Subversion together with the TortoiseSVN-Client plus its SVN-AutoLock-Feature and additionally for read-only access, RSS-feeds etc. WebSVN. (The IT-guys also have a bug-tracker-integration with Mantis.) So while the big systems from above are often used in big companies, smaller companies or workgroups often use SVN since its free and simple. (If you take a shot also look for a webtool to manage usernames and access-rights. We do this manually because I did not find the tool at the time but in the long run, it will be easier to maintain, especially when admins change.)

If can strongly suggest to take a look at OwnCloud. That thing became quite powerful.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
    Tobias R
    Combined University Racing Berlin (CURB) - Germany

+ Reply to Thread