+ Reply to Thread

Thread: welded tubes in SES

Hi guys! i'm compiling the structural equivalency spreadsheet and i have a problem in the "welded tubes" tag. what does this tag refer to? in the fsae rules i can't find any reference, except the rule T3.4.1. Has somebody got an old SES to upload with some images that could help me to understand? Is there a guide to the SES compiling? thank you so much...

Ben,
    There is a half a chapter on the SES in our book, "Learn & Compete...", written by Dan Jones, who was the lead writer of the SES. That should help you.

thank you Michael! I'll look for your book! Has anybody else had my same doubts as for welded tubes?

Structural equivalency spreadsheet

what should we write for the thickness of panel in the columns such as main hoop bracing support or front hoop bracing support?
    and should we give the material steel for mild steel?
    Thanks in advance.

Welded Tubes Tab

Ben,
    I see no tab that just says "Welded Tubes". There is one that says "Welded Tube Inserts". This one applies if you are drilling holes with a diameter greater than 4 mm in any of the mandated tubes. On this tab the examiners want to see dimensioned drawings with A and I calculations comparing the section with the insert to the baseline tube without the hole.

raptor,
    If your chassis is tube frame only, i.e. no composite panels, on the tabs such as "Main Hoop Bracing Support" and "Front Hoop Bracing", up at the top where it says "Construction Type" you enter "Tubing Only". If there are numbers already entered in the yellow boxes in that column, ignore them, or enter "0". If you have entered "Tubing Only" at the top, the SES calculation ignores any number entered in the "Your Composite" column.

+ Reply to Thread