+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keizer Wheel Safety Factor

I have designed, manufactured and tested carbon fiber wheels (unfortunately not in time for competition, as you can see), and I was comparing their properties to Keizer 13" wheels. I have heard from many an unnamed source that Keizer's 13" wheels are overdesigned for use on an FSAE car. I was wondering if anyone else has heard the same, and if so, by how much are they overdesigned? This may very well determine whether or not I have managed to make working carbon fiber wheels for our team.

I have designed, manufactured and tested carbon fiber wheels (unfortunately not in time for competition, as you can see), and I was comparing their properties to Keizer 13" wheels. I have heard from many an unnamed source that Keizer's 13" wheels are overdesigned for use on an FSAE car. I was wondering if anyone else has heard the same, and if so, by how much are they overdesigned? This may very well determine whether or not I have managed to make working carbon fiber wheels for our team.

Uhmm...if you have to ask...

Oh, nevermind. Are you an engineer?
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">by how much are they overdesigned? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Allow me to reword: I was comparing the lateral stiffness of the two wheels. I know how much they will deflect, but I want to know what an acceptable amount of deflection is for such a wheel.

You tell us. For a max cornering condition, how much camber loss through compliance is acceptable?

As for Keizers being overdesigned.. from a stress standpoint maybe. From a compliance standpoint though.. not so sure.

Not only that, but your cornering weight will have a humongous impact. What works on the front of a rear-heavy 375 lb car may not work on a 550 lb car.

In other words, there is no "right" answer.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer

To add to the racket of things for you top think about, you also didn't say which model / width Keizer wheel you were talking about.

We had a set of old Keizer circle track wheels with press formed aluminum plate centers - and they were floppppyyyyy.

They make some nice machined forgings for the centers too, but at nearly the cost of some BBS wheels - we just bought some BBS wheels.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

To further-further obfuscate, not only are there both Al and Mg machined centers, but every year they are a little different. The Mg ones we got this year look heavier, but stiffer.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer

We have changed allot over the years in design. Sponsored teams from all over have given valuable input to help improve all facets of the wheels. something that worked 10 years ago had to be changed to keep up to FSAE's growth in speed and needs. The Old Aluminum centers are now referred to as the A1. in past years we used as thin as 1/8" material in the centers. (didnt work well) now 1/4" is standard.(works well) The Kosmo mags have also evolved in recent years. Material added and we also use different properties in our magnesium. Info and this and the 2 new options of centers can be found in the download section of the website.

www.keizerwheels.ccom

Wade Huisman
    Keizer Aluminum Wheels Inc.
    Phone 712-737-3053
    cell 712-441-5390
    fax 712-737-3053
    kaw@mtcnet.net
    www.keizerwheels.com
    "the lightest wheels in racing"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kwheels:
    in past years we used as thin as 1/8" material in the centers. (didnt work well) now 1/4" is standard.(works well) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got anything more substantial... e.g. data... rather than just "Wasn't good.. now its good" ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast