+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wheel inset

we are orderin wheels from kaizer, they custom make the inset accordin to what v tell them. how much is the normal inset in a wheel? how can we calculate the inset?

we are orderin wheels from kaizer, they custom make the inset accordin to what v tell them. how much is the normal inset in a wheel? how can we calculate the inset?

take the money that you were going to spend on wheels and buy the series of books written by carrol smith
    Git up on that wheel!!!

sharukh, why don't you contribute something useful to this forum before acting like an asshole.

Wheel offset (I think this is what you mean) can range a lot. It depends mostly on your packaging and what you want your scrub radius to be. I think a wheel with 0 offset will probably be much stronger than a wheel with a alot of offset. What you would probably want to do is have close to zero offset and zero scrub radius, but this is really difficult to design and package. Another reason for running offset is to clear your brake caliper.

So:

figure out what you want your outboard geometry to be (kingpin, scrub radius,etc)

figure out how you want to mount your brake rotor and caliper

design a hub

find a wheel with the offset you want to meet your previous requirements.

Good luck
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

I think Prater's suggestion is a pretty good one.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sharukh:
    prater, why dont u put ur money where ur mouth is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly does this mean?
    Erich Ohlde
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    FSAE 04 - 09

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smo

Hey Sharukh. I suppose the arrogance was uncalled for. Just having a lighter 'racing wheel' without basic knowledge wouldn't get your car anywhere. I Suppose that the money does need to spent on books before you splurge on products.
    By the way you ought to have enough decency to make your location/college/university public. What's the point hiding?

Sharukh, please call anytime and I can try and help you figure out what you need. We will go over some basics. Not to hard to figure out what will work on your design. Teams are calling in orders daily but we still have plenty of parts to make you what is required. 712-737-3053

Wade Huisman
    F-SAE Sales & Tech.
    Keizer Racing wheels Inc.
    712-737-3053

Nice customer service!
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

+ Reply to Thread