+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Imprtance of FSAE for employers

I am a student at the University of Colorado. Our school is trying to cancel the program. Could any employers send me an email about the importance of FSAE to an employer. My email is joshgossanyi@gmail.com. Thank you all for your time.

I am a student at the University of Colorado. Our school is trying to cancel the program. Could any employers send me an email about the importance of FSAE to an employer. My email is joshgossanyi@gmail.com. Thank you all for your time.

There are a lot of teams without any support from university!

All you need is a motivated group of motorsport enthusiasts.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FStotalcom/158738688444

Have to agree, it's doable without university support. From that point of view though it's also a lot more work, but you learn so much as well.

Also at my last job interview it was probably 1/2-3/4 of an hour spent discussing FSAE/BAJA experience. They do look at it as it teaches a lot of the skills that can take a while to learn on the job.

Cancelling the program as in if it was part of the curriculum and now it no longer is, or take away yours money from school, or take away your space on campus, or a combination of those things? I know of enough schools that gets nothing from their school aside from a room(not us, but there are those out there). I also know enough schools that FSAE is completely extracurricular(as is the case for Toronto, aside from thesis in final year). I think with those cases what FStotal said is true. Might be difficult, but not completely impossible. If your school pull all the support and the room from underyou though, I can see that being a problem....

Where I work now actually, of the ~25 people engineers here, probably 7-8 of them have prior FSAE experiences, so I think there are employers out there who value this kind of experiences for their new hires.
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I have a job interview Monday Solely because of my FSAE Experience. The founder of our FSAE team is now the head engineer at Panoz. We often laugh among ourselves about how hard it must be for a normal engineering student without any hands on experience or connections to get a job.

Why exactly do they want to cancel your program. Did you do anything to piss them off? Do they not want to contribute money? Space? Machine shop access?

Long story folks.

Working on resolution.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Let me know if I can do anything to help Josh and Tom. I know that FSAE on my resume has really struck an interest with employers in the past and present.

Shit...the ASU team gets ZERO support from the school. Though they found it worth they're while to give the concrete canoe team $50k! >:|
    -Richard Mazur
    ASU

We also had NO support from our school. We had 6 guys on the team for one semester and picked up a 7th in the second. Placed pretty well in a few events. We built our entire car with about 6 grand that we earned and raised ourselves.

Trying to work with your school isn't worth your time; just build the car!

Also, I got my current job through FSAE involvement. I didn't have to talk about my favorite class, or group projects, or GPA. All they wanted to hear in my interview was the design work I did in Formula, how we managed our project, and how we managed our budget.

I work for a small company, and all of the degreed engineers here were in Formula SAE.
    Saint Cloud State University Alum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast