+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to design floating rotor?

Hybrid View

hello.i was asked to take the job of braking system this year.and we want to design Floating Rotors.there are only 2 teams used it in the national FSAE competition in my country last year . therefore i cant find much information about it in our group.then i have searched many times on FSAE.com for it,while there are almost questions and solutions.so anybody could post me this kind of article or materials(such as introducing Stress analysis ,Diameter design and Junction design )? great thanks. my email is 469329595@qq.com

ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

therefore i cant find much information about it in our group.then i have searched many times on FSAE.com for it,while there are almost questions and solutions.so anybody could post me this kind of article or materials(such as introducing Stress analysis ,Diameter design and Junction design )?
    When looking for information such as this I've always found it easier to go back and find what the most common application or initial implementation of the design in question.

In this case, it is a floating rotor. What else uses a floating rotor? High performance motorcycles.
    If looking for general information I would start searching for information on that.

In respect to the diameter design, materials, etc. That is up to you. We as a forum can point you in the right direction, discuss some odd questions, but you were given the role of a design engineer and must take on the work yourself.

I would check out these as a starting point in design:
    http://www.stoptech.com/docs/m...s-of-braking-systems
    http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Ha...d-Puhn/dp/0895862328
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Magnets. Assuming of course you aren't using aluminum.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

How not use AL? You are not use AL now I believe....

You need a superconductor, such as a Bi–Sr–Ca–Cu–O system. If your rotors are made out of this system, you can then mount them to your ferrous metal hubs. The magnetic field from your ferrous metal will trap your zero-resistance rotor in its own magnetic field.

Keep in mind though, you need to keep your rotors constantly cooled by liquid nitrogen, otherwise they will no longer float.
    Since this is the case, investigate modifying a fuel pump to circulate liquid nitrogen through a radiator system which passes through each rotor.
    Iowa State Formula SAE

thank all of you so much.We need Magnets in it(not use AL)?and how?

I looked very silly squirting orange juice through my nose at my work desk.
    Electronics Warwick Racing 11' Alumni

Originally posted by New bird fly first:
    hello.i was asked to take the job of braking system this year.and we want to design Floating Rotors.there are only 2 teams used it in the national FSAE competition in my country last year . therefore i cant find much information about it in our group.then i have searched many times on FSAE.com for it,while there are almost questions and solutions.so anybody could post me this kind of article or materials(such as introducing Stress analysis ,Diameter design and Junction design )? great thanks. my email is 469329595@qq.com
    There are lots of ready made products available for you to use, including recommended mounting configurations and so on. Here is one example http://isrbrakes.somee.com/products/brakediscs/ we've used their float-connection-things according to their specification with our custom hubs and discs.
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

That's awesome that you want to use floating rotors. First question to ask would be why. Why do you want to use floating rotors? There are many motorcycles that use floating rotors so there is plenty of information out there. Google and/or Bing are you friends. Use them.
    Macke

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast