+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia SXV 550 engines Now Available

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How does this figure into costs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RTFR ;-)

I haven't checked the 2007 rules yet but engines are costed to a displacement/performance formula AFAIK.

BTW your sig might be slightly deformed.

Tim

As of 10-27-06 you cannot adjust the stock ECU. I've contacted Power Commander, and they are working on a unit, but it's not available either yet.

You're cheapest and best service quality option right now is:

Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    "Complete Engine Management Systems for $798"
    Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

You CAN adjust the stock ECU! ANd there isn't a lot to it either!

The standard ECU is a Welbro ECU-C unit and is fully reprogramable, and there are already a number of options for adjusting maps and TPS calibration.
    1) By the official Aprilia tool, the AXONE 2000, however these are made by Texa and can be bought from Texa distributors in the UK for around £2000 if you shop around. The AXONE has everything in the one unit you could possibly need, from Osciloscope to DMM, but the cost is huge, you then need the cable (£46), the software updates (£299 a year) and the original maps. Its also a little restrictive as far as adjustments are concerned as it is a small hand held unit!

2) Albeit a Welbro ECU, Aprilia have played with the connection settings so you would have to rewrite a section of the Welbro tools software, or buy the Welbro stock ECU and connection tools (again seems a little bit expensive at around £800 for the ECU and £300 for the software).

3) Best option, TuneBoy software and cables;
    http://www.tuneboy.com.au/
    software including cable is £229, which has a USB plugin connection to any windows laptop (95 onwards) can log from the laptop and has full control over every aspect of the ECU. Maps are free and downloadable from there website, and software updates come free as best i know. Its also compatible with most of the engine being used in FSAE including the Honda CBR 600 and Daytona Triumph.

Trick to the Tuneboy is that they don't yet advertise that they have the software for the Aprilia XV engines as its in testing as i type and should be available within the next two weeks.

Im very much against anything like power comander on this ECU as it is so good as stock and fully customisable when you hook up using a PC, the added weight and complication of the Power Comander and the restriction of what can be done with the power comander makes it a no brainer for me. I know the trouble we had last year trying to slap a piggy back unit onto a Triumph Daytona engine and it really made the car suffer!

Have a look on the Aprilia XV forums and theres a lot of activity around the subject!

Damn, that is a sweet little motor.

only 60 lbs? yikes.
    UNM FSAE 2003 to 2005

Thanks for the update Vanny. 229 pounds is what? $450 US + shipping?
    Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

I make it to be about $435 and i think the price includes the shipping! Biggest bonus for us is that the same software works for last years car and adding in the triumph cable and second license key is only like another $60!

you can also pay via paypal which given its an international purchase gives some additional security! Most of the people that have discussed the Tune Boy with me have been from the US so i wonder if there is a dealer out there? Would shave a lot of time off the delivery!

I'll be ordering a copy this week and will let you know (in a new topic) when it arrives!

Hi Mechanicaldan:

I would like to know how do we can get this motor and the shipping costs to México (of couse the time of delivery) here is my email: mendieta.arturo@hotmail.com, our team (UAEMEX RACING) is interested in a complete quotation (incluiding discount program if it is available and th complete list of accesories for the motor (competition kits etc)) thanks a lot

Regards
    A Mendieta J
    UAEMEX Racing

greetings

just as an fyi, there is a good forum specifically for the Aprilia SXV/RXV motorcycles - the bikes that use this motor. lots of good experience and expertise

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=50

regards

Some more motors to came in!!! Enjoy the pictures, and don't drool too much on your keyboard. The 3 pictured are RXV 550s. The minor difference is lower gearing. See the ratios listed above.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

Dan,

Big ups for your efforts in sourcing these engines for FSAE use. It's not easy sourcing crate engines, especially when you are going into bat for other teams as well. Good stuff.

I can't wait to see these cars on track. It would please me no end to see competitive twins, fours and singles all dicing it out for the honours.

Cheers
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast