+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Alignment

Wheel Alignment is probably the most troubling part for suspension manufacturer. I have been trying to align the wheels but after every run they tend to misalign. Also the driver feels the skidding feeling at the rear. Can nyone suggest anything for keeping the rear wheel straight? The Toe and the camber both are getting effected at the bump or rebound. Ny suggestions please?
    Aseem Singla
    Joint Co-ordinator, 2008
    Suspension Co-ordinator, 2007
    Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India

Wheel Alignment is probably the most troubling part for suspension manufacturer. I have been trying to align the wheels but after every run they tend to misalign. Also the driver feels the skidding feeling at the rear. Can nyone suggest anything for keeping the rear wheel straight? The Toe and the camber both are getting effected at the bump or rebound. Ny suggestions please?
    Aseem Singla
    Joint Co-ordinator, 2008

Do you mean you're having difficulty with the linkage design and getting rid of bump steer.. or the car somehow 'misaligns' itself while driving.. or theres compliance?
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I mean I have difficulty with getting rid of bump steer at rear wheels. can u suggest something to rectify it ?
    Aseem Singla
    Joint Co-ordinator, 2008

I don't know your suspension setup, but is your toe link setup correctly for minimal bump steer?
    Horace Lai

I minimized the bump steer at the front end using the same principle that " tie rod must follow the same arc" but the rear has no tie rod so i am not sure why the bump steer effect takes place! Ny suggestions for improvement.
    Aseem Singla
    Joint Co-ordinator, 2008

I would try to put your rear suspension into a solid modeling program as close to the final design as possible and move it through its verticle motion. Adjust the toe control link until you get the bump steer minimized, then replicate it on your car. If you're running a link off of the a-arm to the upright, you should have the least bump steer when the link is in the plane of the a-arm it is mounted on.
    _ _
    Joel Harshbarger
    USF Motorsports

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Infinity:
    the rear has no tie rod
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh are you sure? any pics?
    John Valerio
    Queen's FSAE
    http://engsoc.queensu.ca/formulacar/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast