+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basics?

What is the basic averages for:

Chassis weight?
    Engine weight?
    Engine hp?
    Total car weight?

What type of trasmission is most commonly used? CVT? Internal?

Right now University of Colorado at Colorado Springs doesn't have a FSAE org. Need some information to maybe start us off for 2009.

What is the basic averages for:

Chassis weight?
    Engine weight?
    Engine hp?
    Total car weight?

What type of trasmission is most commonly used? CVT? Internal?

Right now University of Colorado at Colorado Springs doesn't have a FSAE org. Need some information to maybe start us off for 2009.

From what I have seen for pretty basic first year car. Steel Chassis are normally in the 65-75 pound range. Most of the inline 4 600cc engines are around 120lb. Smaller singles and twins are usually 60-90lb I think. Horsepower ranges quite a bit anywhere from 30 to 100 supposedly. 65-70 is probably average. Total car weight again varies a lot. For a first year team I would aim for under 500 lbs. Most teams just use the internal transmissions found in the bike engines.

The best way to get information would be to contact one of the teams near you and see if you can talk to them and look at their cars. And also try to make it to one of the competitions just to look at other cars and learn from other teams.
    Chris Meissen
    cmeissen@gmail.com

I see that the University of Wisconsin-Madison won last year.

Frame weight 52 lbs. - steel
    Guessing Front/rear weight is total weight 260 lbs.
    01-03 Suzuki GSX-R600 Engine...still researching for the spec for this engine (hp, torque, weight..)

Is this the goal to shoot for for winning?

Total car weight according to their page would be 260+345-150= 455 lb.

Keep in mind there are lighter 13" tire, 4cyl cars that show up to comp than this.

The winner of the competition isn't decided by who has the lightest car.

As a first year team, you will most likely struggle with just designing and building a car, period. It is a much bigger task than it seems. Yes, even if you think you *do* know what it entails. Aim for less than 500 lbs if you're running a 4 cyl, and somewhat less if you're running a single or twin. Don't worry terribly if you don't meet that goal. Try to make it as light as possible, but particularly in your first year that will have to give way at least partially to practicality. Get a car built, get it built early, and test the crap out of it. This will make far more difference to your performance at comp than even 40 lbs of weight.

Does anyone have stats for what percentage of teams typically finish the enduro in their first year? My guess is that it's not good.

What I'm looking for right now are goals. If I know averages in chassis weight, engine weight, etc. I can set goals for my team to meet. Everyone likes to be praised for a job well done; if they have a target and meet it, then it's even better.

I agree that goals are important, and you should have a weight target. What i am questioning is *which* goals are most important for a team just starting out. We were 499 pounds at West 06 and we were second in the dynamic events and third overall.

In my opinion, the most important goals are related to time. Set yourself milestones that you are supposed to reach at specific points in the year and pat yourself on the back if you meet them. Overestimate how long the car will take to build by a factor of 3 or so. Allow for a massive period of time (a few months) to track test your car before comp.

I agree with Pete. Having been involved with FSAE now for many years, I think that keeping a timeline and meeting set milestones is more important than physical goals for a first year team. Shoot for leass than 600 lbs wet and an engine that starts and runs reliably regardless of how much power it makes.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

Rennich,
    I work with several former FSAE guys in South Denver.
    We're all pretty opinionated now about how this project should be approached.
    Drop me a line if you want to meet up sometime and talk about this over a beer.
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE 01 to 05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast