+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: A new free vehicle dynamics resource - Dan's Vehicle Dynamics Corner

Can someone please explain exactly what the simulator does that makes the car win a race?

Does it take in the logged data and determine the car needs more front aero download to be faster? Or did the driver and engineer do that?

Does it calculate an exact amount of aero change required to achieve some previously established KPI? ie to achieve slip angle xx add xx aero to front.

Does it include a CFD study of the car to determine the ideal sized front canard to fix the understeer? Or were they just the ones that were in the truck?

Or like the FEA example from Cam, does it compare other methods of fixing the problem and allow you to choose the best one? ie less rear wing, more/lower front splitter, lower rear ride height, bump stop change etc.
    If so did you run one or more of the other fixes before or after and the simulator predicted the correct lap time difference between these solutions? If so what was the accuracy? and what is the long term accuracy of all such tests? And how does a hand calc verify this difference?

I'm not taking the piss here, just trying to get an understanding of the story, and how it differs from.......

Driver - "It's got some high speed understeer in 6 and 7. Killing me as it won't take power without pushing wide."
    Engineer - "Yeah I can see that here (on the data). Your way down there on what you were doing with less rear wing. But we need that extra wing in 3 and 4, we are actually about the same over the lap"
    Driver - "well it's shit like it is, you've got to do something"
    Engineer - "Hey, I've got some front canards in the truck, that will go a long way to sorting it, and if it is still not enough I'll fit the small Gurney at the back"
    Driver - "Awesome, lets do it"

I get that a hand calc and the sim might predict that if you add xx download understeer will reduce and the front springs will compress xxx more on the main straight and the data will show that. But isn't that trivial?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Marsh; 02-01-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Marsh View Post
    I get that a hand calc and the sim might predict that if you add xx download understeer will reduce and the front springs will compress xxx more on the main straight and the data will show that. But isn't that trivial?
    Not if it's done before the test and as a result you didn't waste the whole morning chasing an understeer problem.

Simulation's strength, if used correctly, is that it lets you test more efficiently. In other words you can run D.O.E.s which you would practically never be able to run during a real test and exclude loads of potentially dead end development/setup paths.

Pete,

These are all excellent questions and let me break it down 1 by 1,

Where lap time simulation, ChassisSim in particular feeds into the food chain is it provides a representative environment of the racecar on the computer, so you can throw all the what ifs and maybe's so you can deduce a setup well before you hit the racetrack. Where it also fits into the food chain is if you start to have dramas at the racetrack you've got the tools to get yourself out of a jam. This is what I did at WTAC 2016.

In terms of the mechanics of running it, I can't speak for other simulation packages but with ChassisSim what you can change on the actual car, you can change in ChassisSim. Then it exports simulated data laps out to data analysis software of your choice so you can review it like actual data.

Also ChassisSim has the ability to reverse engineer tyre and aero models from race data to fill in the blanks of what you don't know. However if you want further details check out the ChassisSim blog and Youtube channel.

I hope this answers your questions but if you have anymore please keep them coming.

All the Best

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

Just a quick community service announcement. ChassisSim v3.30 is out. Here's a quick introduction video,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...-been-released

Quick highlights is hysteresis bump rubbers, data log export at 100 Hz and Driver stability implementation for lap time simulation. I'm actually going to do a seperate video on that shortly.

All the Best

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

I have a real treat for you today. You know how we all struggle to take into account race car handling when we predict race car performance. Well this will sort that out,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...ime-simulation

It's about how to use the stability index to correct mid corner and turn exit speeds.

Enjoy

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

I realise the following is preaching to the choir, but when we start running a racecar there is a great temptation to push simulation, vehicle dynamics simulation in particular to the background. The following should challenge this,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...-things-you-do

Enjoy

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

A bit of a fun treat for you today. When we are busy studying, rushing to complete a car build et al it's easy to lose sight of why we do what we do.

Remember the World Time Attack Challenge we discussed a few months ago. Here's the video of the lap,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...n-action-video

Enjoy

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

I've been seeing a lot discussion lately about valid simulation and sims that count. However one key question to ask is what do you get out of simulation. The following addresses this,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...-of-simulation

Enjoy

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

I have a follow up post for you. A couple of months I posted a tutorial about tyre modelling from a blank sheet of paper. The following puts this into practice,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...els-in-minutes

Once you understand and more importantly apply this, it will solve one of the great grey areas of simulation which is quantifying your tyres.

Enjoy

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

Hey Guys,

The ChassisSim bootcamps are back for 2017. Here are the details,

http://www.chassissim.com/blog/chass...bootcamps-2017

This year there is a difference. The Indy and Cologne bootcamps are 2 day events. On day 2 you get to apply ChassisSim to your racecar/FSAE car with us looking over your shoulder. We did this with our bootcamp in Brazil and it worked really well. This will ensure when the bootcamp finishes you can hit the ground running with racecar simulation.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

All the Best

Danny Nowlan
    Director
    ChassisSim Technologies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast