+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: companies that make steering parts for fsae

what are companies these manufacturing steering box (rack and pinion ) suitable for fsae

and companies for u-joints and steering shafts and steering wheel

Miltera makes the best rack I have used since starting on the team 5 years ago, recommend it.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...607348/m/97420687151

We use a kart rack for our car. I'm not sure what brand.

We use a drag racing steering rack.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

We have used Stilleto and later on Woodward racks, but none of them compares to our current Formula Seven rack! Its an awesome part, really lightweight, free of any backlash or freeplay, really smooth operation and top notch quality. On top of that, those guys (being ex-fsaers)are extremely friendly and it's a pleasure to work with them. Definitely worth taking a look.

http://www.formula-seven.com/

The Miltera mRack is an awesome bit of engineering. It is tiny (smaller than a dollar bill) and weighs nothing. The tapered sinusoidal spline is by far the best spline I've seen in any steering rack. Overall a very very nice part and it was designed specifically for FSAE.

Kyle Jeffries
    Team Captain
    University of South Florida
    www.usfracing.com

Cole,

The Formula Seven rack weighs something crazy like 810 grams.

The Miltera mRack weighs 281 grams.

The Formula Seven rack has a selectable eye-to-eye distance. Ours is something like 540mm if I can recall and weighs definitely less than a kilo. I can chexk and tell you for sure soon.

Hii
    We are planning to buy the chassis shop rack this year.
    I have few doubts
    -Are miltera rack and chassis shop rack both same?
    -Do they have backlash issues?

-michael

No. The Miltera rack and Chassis Shop racks are on totally different ends of the spectrum. The Chassis Shop rack is a low cost rack with poor mount design (rack mounting near the center is less than optimal because you have little R to counter the RxF moment), while the Miltera component is a piece of titanium art and is 10x more expensive than the Chassis Shop unit.

If you are a newer team I think the Chassis Shop unit is fine. It does not have too much lash, from my experience its biggest problem is with mounting compliance. I've never held a Miltera unit (we use a team-designed custom rack which is a little heavier), but from all reports it is very nice and lash-free.
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast