+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Virginia 2009 Competition: Pictures, stories & more.

Here's a slightly biased assortment of pictures from the first two days of VIR (I had to get back to take the FE).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r...57617323027610/show/
    ======================
    2009 Electrical Group Leader
    Missouri S&T Racing
    http://fsae.mst.edu

Wow, there's a lot of really attractive cars in there.

Looks like a lot of legacy parts, and a lot of new bits on all the cars.

The Maryland car is growing on me the most, and the OU car is super nice looking this year, really nice color too.

I'm looking forward to more photos and details about how everything went down, if there was any issues during dynamics, or tech.

I am surprised none of the gallery's up yet have photos of the templating process yet, can anyone comment on how that went?

Did anyone not pass them?

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Congratulations to UMR, you got the win and you really deserved it. I knew you guys were the favored team going in ever since I watched those videos of you driving in February. I guess I will have to wait til west for a rematch. ; )

Thanks everyone for the great photos. Is there a final standings?
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

Hey everyone!

We just got back from the competition and finally have internet.

Here's what I remember happening over the last couple of days...

Only about 21 teams showed up, tech was a breeze- VIR is so much more relaxed than MIS or Cali (even though Cali is pretty good), it was pretty easy getting the templates to fit for us, I'm not sure about other teams though- I think VT had some issues and Kansas State used their 08 car but did well overall (top 10 I think).

On Thursday they only took 2 teams to design finals (as was already stated - Rolla (they'll always be rolla to us ) and Wisconsin). Vanderbuilt won presentation and Michigan - Dearborn won Cost (someone correct me if wrong...)

Friday was fun with dynamics time as Maryland showed everyone that wings won't keep you from winning accel and OU won skidpad! For autocross, the track was AMAZING! I love 100 second courses and Rolla absolutely dominated out there. Hands down the fastest car on the track. Illinois proved to be a very fast car with second and Maryland took 3rd. Wisconsin was running a KTM 525 tubro and had engine issues then threw a chain...

Yesterday, the Enduro was awesome- even faster than the autocross, we started 4th right in front of Wisconsin. The course was soo long each driver only did 6 laps! We tried to just take it easy and clean and finish (an off course we definitely end your day out there) and hope the new fuel weighting would play into our favor. Maryland had issues and didn't finish and Illinois was very quick. We were able to finish and so did Wisconsin. Rolla's car was absolutely phenomenal out there. Their faster times were nearly 8 seconds faster than the next car. I can tell you that aero made all the difference at that track. They won the endurance event with Illinois coming second and OU third.

The Fuel Economy definitely mixed things up a bit as Kansas state won that and we took second (I'm not sure who took third). The design review was an interesting one... but Wisconsin came out with the win.

Overall: Illinois took 3rd, OU took 2nd, and Missouri University of Science and Technology took 1st. This was an awesome competition. We didn't grab a copy of the non-official results, but I'm sure someone will post it shortly.
    Sooner Racing Team
    University of Oklahoma
    Chief Engineer 08-09
    Team Captain 06-08

sae.ou.edu

More pics!!! (Slightly biased)

Sooner Racing Team
    University of Oklahoma
    Chief Engineer 08-09
    Team Captain 06-08

sae.ou.edu

Competition was a blast! S&T did amazing, Wisconsin came with a fantastically designed and built car, and Illinois was kicking ass. I wish Maryland had finished Endurance, as they were doing well also.

Long Neck drivers!

Illinois going fast!

Rolla blowing everyone away.

and OU and our high-class trailer!

Wisconsin on the Accel.

Maryland.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

another shot of the UMD car.
    Terps Racing - UMCP FSAE

Sorry to the original owner of that pic I posted. One of our guys stole it, photoshopped it, then threw our logo on.
    Terps Racing - UMCP FSAE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast