+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: aussie teams progress

we just got our 2004 car out for it's first test day yesterday (after a 5am completion the night before). We didn't set any lap records but it was nice to see it rolling. Still a lot of work to do but I think it's got some potential. There will be some photo's on our web page soon.
    We were a bit late in our timeline getting it out so I was wondering how other aussie team's are going, are people already testing?
    cheers
    Full Boar Racing (02, 03, 04, 05)
    http://gtv.seddon.ca

we just got our 2004 car out for it's first test day yesterday (after a 5am completion the night before). We didn't set any lap records but it was nice to see it rolling. Still a lot of work to do but I think it's got some potential. There will be some photo's on our web page soon.
    We were a bit late in our timeline getting it out so I was wondering how other aussie team's are going, are people already testing?
    cheers
    Full Boar Racing (02, 03, 04, 05)
    http://gtv.seddon.ca

we've got all of the moulds for our monocoque, have done a fibreglass test piece to make sure all the parts will come out OK, just waiting on test panels to confirm layups etc. In the middle of doing our rear space frame right now, we were waiting on the structural sump. One sponsor pulled out, had to chase someone who would do it without charging a fortune, and do it in reasonable time. so we are just a little behind schedule.
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In the middle of doing our rear space frame right now, we were waiting on the structural sump. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Structural sump? That's awesome. I thought about it once or twice for our car, but there are other stuff that need attention before something like that. Any pics?

Matt Gignac
    McGill Racing Team

theres some pics on our website of last years, the new one is even more elaborate. RMIT ran one in 02, and birmingham have also done it. I'm sure there are others as well.
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

We did our own ally casting for the sump this year - a couple of pictures here if you're interested...

Definitely a good idea, especially since it gave us the freedom to put the lower diff support plate mountings where we wanted. I think if we were to do it again, we'd include some baffles - we missed a bit of a trick there...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deano:
    We did our own ally casting for the sump this year - a couple of pictures http://lum-lfs04-01.fotopic.net/p6829734.html if you're interested...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sump looks really good! For our first car we had a machined dry sump on the Suzi GSX-R we used on it. We used it as a structural member to form an extra mount at the front of the engine. I would have loved to do the same on the Mahle engine but for several reasons we decided not to use the engine as a structural member.

AFAIK the biggest deviation for F3 engines from their mass-production donors is the dry sump and cylinder head cover. Most engines seam to use these two parts as structural members to take stress from the cyl blocks and crank- and camshaft bearings.

Tim

still waiting for ours to get back from england, so we're beating our heads against static events

anyone else driving?

will the wattard return?

whats rmit up to?

will the turbo be run on 'Gong '04?

Frank (UQ)

The kiwis are nearly on the road (waiting for our wheels). With a few 48hr days planned, we should be rolling soon (don't want to jinks things, so I'll shut up now).
    Brent

3rd world solutions for real world problems.

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

Last few months have been composites 101 certainly have learnt so much about high temperature moulding, have done a test chassis, which also formed our test chassis for safety equiv.
    Bottom tub is vac bagged and ready to cure tomorrow, finshing rebuild of top mould tonight.

Rear spaceframe is being completed right now, final intake and exhaust length testing is keeping the houses around us up late this week..
    All machined/splined components are about 3-4 weeks off being completed and off to the anodiser.
    Should have a running car in mid october..

Driver training is also in swing with the uk winning car, provides a bit of relief from such long hours!

Mark Hester
    RMIT Chief Engineer 04
    Mark Hester
    RMIT Racing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast