+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CAD models of any single cylinder engine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grant Mahler:
    Do what EVERY other successful team has done: go to a dealership and MEASURE it. These are not complicated things, and the board gets requests like this all too frequently from people too lazy to go do one of the simplest tasks towards this competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree with this. Designing a car around a set of measurements you can take off an engine that is still mounted in a frame would be a ridiculous idea (in most cases), and I would strongly disagree that "every successful team" has done that.

For the past few year's we've always worked with a very detailed model, created through 3D scanning, or combinations of 2D scanning and lots of measuring on a disassembled engine. I would not be confident to design a car around measurements taken of a motor in a bike at a dealer, unless you're planning to leave big gaps around your engine to add a safety factor.
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MalcolmG:
    I have to disagree with this. Designing a car around a set of measurements you can take off an engine that is still mounted in a frame would be a ridiculous idea (in most cases), and I would strongly disagree that "every successful team" has done that.

For the past few year's we've always worked with a very detailed model, created through 3D scanning, or combinations of 2D scanning and lots of measuring on a disassembled engine. I would not be confident to design a car around measurements taken of a motor in a bike at a dealer, unless you're planning to leave big gaps around your engine to add a safety factor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you missed the point. I don't think they are at that stage of their design yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I think you missed the point. I don't think they are at that stage of their design yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo.

MalcolmG - I bet your team spent lots of time building that model. Why on earth would you give away something so valuable to a team that hasn't put the first bit of effort into their own model? That's my main point. People expect things for free on here. I think this forum should be a source for discussion, and not a place for people who want something done for them to come ask for things.

haha, I feel like we're starting to touch on somne philosophical stuff now (teach a man to fish...) and I'm not sure which side I'm on. Certainly, there are some areas where people need to do work themselves so that they will understand what's going on, and so that they can learn from the experience.

Some areas, however, it seems more like it's just a case not wanting others to have benefits which you didn't have yourself. Sharing of CAD models seems like a good way for teams to be able to look at different concepts easily, and it seems like everyone benefits from it, especially teams who struggle more for resources (in terms of available man-hours, finances, and access to equipment).
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you missed the point. I don't think they are at that stage of their design yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will agree with you there. We really aren't. I am spending most of my time working on suspension/roll rates and was wanting a simple model of single cyl. to help me with some other quick calculations. I've gotten what I needed done, but still having a model for quick reference would be very nice. (not having access to scanning equipment right now to do all that work is a hinderence and in no way do I feel comfortable modeling an engine on my own.)
    The big problem is we are at the stage of a first year team that happened to have a garage and a bunch of old formula car parts lying around. So its been a struggle.

Nick,

Shoot me an e-mail.

drewpprice at gmailzzzzz

I have a nice simple one you can monkey with, no guarantees though.

It's the Suzuki <STRIKE>WR</STRIKE> LT-R450 if it makes a difference, but they're all similar in footprint, very different in mounting scheme.

And only choose to feed rear suspension loads into it if you genuinely believe you know what you're doing.....

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Drew,
    A Suzuki WR? I'm guessing you either mean Suzuki DR400(Z) or the Yamaha WR400/426/450. (Husky also have a WR range, but are 2-strokes)

Sorry for nit-pick

Darren.

Jesus. I must not have had my coffee yet, I meant the Suzuki LT-R450.

The WR is of course from our friends at Honda.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Sorry Drew, Honda make the CR-F... Yamaha has the WR (& Husky in 2-strokes) lol.

I wonder how much an old XR600 (Honda ) could be tweaked and lightened up. Absolutely bullet proof rep, plenty of hot-up parts available, and no radiators and coolant to worry with. Bit of clever carbon ducting should take care of cooling? Getting it light enough would be the hassle I suspect. (and availability of the old girls)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2