Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weight & Torsional Stiffness

I need some reasonable values for both weight and torsional stiffness
    thanks in advance

"I need some reasonable values for both weight and torsional stiffness
    thanks in advance"

Do you? OK.
    A medium sized dog might reasonably weigh 10-15kg
    A block of edam cheese has a torsional stiffness of around 0.1 Nm per degree, as a reasonable estimate.
    Now, my turn. I need a new computer.
    Thanks
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Can you help me change my cell phone contract?

Geoff,

I normally appriciate your postings throughout this forum. But this post is just stupid.

A torsinal stiffness of cheese should be only 0.1 Nm per degree? We measured over 10 times this value on low-quality Swiss cheese with HOLES in it!

Please think before posting such wrong numbers, you throw those people of.. they believe you. With great power comes great responsibility!

And zizorey:
    Come on, really?
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

That weight for the dog doesn't seem right either... 10-15kg dog can't even breath with all this snow, so that's definetly below average!
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

Originally posted by JulianH:
    Geoff,

I normally appriciate your postings throughout this forum. But this post is just stupid.

A torsinal stiffness of cheese should be only 0.1 Nm per degree? We measured over 10 times this value on low-quality Swiss cheese with HOLES in it!

Please think before posting such wrong numbers, you through those people of.. they believe you. With great power comes great responsibility!

And zizorey:
    Come on, really?
    we tried using sharp cheddar once for its increased stiffness but its also rather brittle. No useful data was gained from the experiment and munster was chosen as an alternative.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

Originally posted by zizorey8:
    I need some reasonable values for both weight and torsional stiffness
    thanks in advance
    That's what she said.
    Macke

Originally posted by jlangholzj:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulianH:
    Geoff,

Please think before posting such wrong numbers, you through those people of.. they believe you. With great power comes great responsibility!

And zizorey:
    Come on, really?
    we tried using sharp cheddar once for its increased stiffness but its also rather brittle. No useful data was gained from the experiment and munster was chosen as an alternative. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We actually saw some promising results with cheddar. If you cure it properly it will be exceptionally stiff and reduce weight by getting rid of it's extra moisture. American (read processed) cheese on the other hand...didn't change at all. Not even mold. Curious. Cheddar is practically carbon of the cheese world!
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Originally posted by MCoach:
    ....Cheddar is practically the carbon of the cheese world!
    This is GOLD
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

While a feel a nice sharp cheddar indeed is the stiffest, you have to watch out for the brittleness that has been mentioned prior in the thread. I've taken a preference to Gouda or Mozzarella in this aspect. Mozzarella is definitely the softest, but it is AMAZING in tension. Gouda has nearly the stiffness of mild cheddar but with a much smoother consistency.

Now, if you could somehow reinforce the cheddar with mozzarella, then you'd be on to something.

Also, should be noted that other than Swiss which changes due to aeration properties (may want to contact your local Concrete Canoe team about that), all cheese is nearly the same density, which makes calculations convenient with regards to weight.

Also, for regards to weight, you now owe me a beer: http://www.aqua-calc.com/page/density-table
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast