+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How did you obtain your testing/training cones?

Would anyone be able to give insight on how you obtained your testing/driving cones, other than flat-out buying new or renting?

We are a second year FSAE team here at UNT and have a small amount of space we can work with at the moment. Small slalom, setup a given turn to practice and work the line on, skid pad etc.

I have tried contacting our school to borrow cones, with no response as of yet. I will work on going higher to see what we can stir up.

I’ve emailed the Texas SCCA to see if they have any available or even some “dead” cones they may let us hang onto.

I’ve worked on trying to get a sponsorship from cone vendors, with no luck as of yet either.

Is there an avenue I’m missing, short of buying new or renting every time? Perhaps local county auctions? I am just trying to see if there is a method I am missing to try.

Thanks!
    University of North Texas - FSAE '12-'13 [1st year for UNT], '13-'14

We haven't tried this ourselves, but wouldn't it be an idea to talk to your local football club or such? I know that cones are a regular occurrence at least at soccer practice, so sport clubs at or around the university may be worth talking to.

ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

Just ask your local council / construction companies, they normally have a pile of B-grade or damaged cones that are more than suitable.

WE managed to find a plastic injection place in our town tat makes cones for the construction industry. Now we have a pretty large stash
    Paul Charbonneau
    Formule Polytechnique Montreal
    2009 - 2012 - Suspension Lead
    2012 - 2013 - Team Captain
    2013 - 2014 - Suspension and Electronics Lead

In 2010 we just looked up a company which actually produces cones and asked them if they could sponsor us some. I don't remember how many cones we got from them, but it was enough
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

So here are few things that come to mind:
    -Contact the campus PD, they should have cones and if they're cool they'll let you use some
    -Buy some cheapo plastic cones from e-bay
    -Use empty gallon/2 quart beverage containers and spray paint them and keep a little water in the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread