+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Spherical Bearings in A-arms

Ryan,
    The company I work for makes staking tools and we have discounts for SAE teams. Give me a call and I can help you out.

High Performance Vehicle Engineering
    610-515-0550

If anyone else is interested in staking tools or has any questions regarding bearing staking please feel free to get a hold of me.

We are currently making a run next month due to recent SAE team interest in our dies so I would call if you want a set.

Eric
    The 40oz Killer!

If there are any teams out there that are interested in staking dies please contact me ASAP. We are currently finishing up our 2006 production run and NOW is the time to order. We do not stock dies for small bearings (i.e. AWC-4TG and any High Misalignment Bearing), so NOW is the time to order if you need them before comp. Our next full production run isn't until the summer. We do make non-stocked dies when orderd but after we are finished this run the lead time will become 6-8 weeks.

Eric Moyer
    610-515-0550
    High Performance Vehicle Engineering
    The 40oz Killer!

for the teams who use/used loctite between spherical bearing and housing ....

today out of curiosity we made tesion test to check the strength of loctite . the spherical bearing gave away at just 2.8KN ... i will briefly put the facts about it

we used M8 spherical bearing in a steel housing having a seat.. not a press fit case , more on finger press fit types (i dont know the tolerance numbers) ... used Loctite 640 and applied to a warm housing... allowed 24 hours for the joint ...

does anyone have idea how much axial load this loctite is supposed to take .... after checking the spec sheet of Loctite 640 , it should take upto 18KN ... either i am misinterpreting the spec sheet ... or their is some serious flaw in ...
    06, 07, 08 - Ashwa Racing (R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore)
    09 - Rennstall (University of Applied Sciences, Esslingen)
    10,11 - Red Shirt / Scrutineer (FSG, Hockenheim)

Loctite products are generally extremely sensitive tolerances (they don't like loose fits, check the "Maximum Gap Fill Diameter" they are rated for) and also to any grease/oil/general rubbish left on the bonding surfaces. I think Loctite do their testing in extremely clean environments. In various testing we have never got anywhere near the claimed Loctite stress numbers.

At a guess if you are able to push the bearings into the housings by hand then you have too large a gap to try to fill. If you didn't do any form of surface prep then that would also massively reduce the bond strength.
    UNSW 2006-10

@ Tom

no we didnt do much great surface preparation ... just cleaned things with acetone for removing dust and etc. i think the problem was loose fit .

i just returned from making another sample . this time i didnt play with the press fit tolerance , i just heated the housing little more to allow the bearing go in with loctite. so i am assuming that once things cool off, it will be kind of press fit with loctite and then tomorrow we will check the force required to snap off ...

actually we are just trying things with last years housing and bearing , no machining access in holidays ...
    06, 07, 08 - Ashwa Racing (R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore)
    09 - Rennstall (University of Applied Sciences, Esslingen)
    10,11 - Red Shirt / Scrutineer (FSG, Hockenheim)

There is also such a thing as too close of a fit when working with adhesives. I've also read that Loctite 609 is best for a press-fit.
    CU FSAE 2006-2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10