+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: FSG Hockenheim 2008 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More.

Hello Teams!

First of all thank you for beeing in hockenheim this year. We know that every event will be some kind of stress. We know that becaus we did it as a student several times.
    For us this event was also stress, ok we had hollidays from daily bussines, but when we see all teams working hard (e.g. when we went to bed at 2:00 a.m. and some teams sill working)
    and having fun (like on the mahle party or delft party later on) than we every year decide to do it again...

@ screwdriver: we know that the prices are high but we have to take the foodcorner. (we dont get any money from the food) I think the teams will find a solution for that.

Thanks to all Teams!!!

Peter
    Steering Committee Member @ Formula Student Germany
    &
    System design engineer @ Bosch Engineering GmbH
    student-racing team Stralsund (1st German)

First off, congrats to Delft on the win, you guys have an awesome car and it was good to see you have some better luck in enduro than you had in the US this year. I was watching the endurance event on the web, wishing the Wisconsin team was there, and I couldn't believe it when the Stuttgart car stopped 1/2 lap short. We can definitely relate after being disqualified last year at FSG when a brake bleeder screw came loose and we were leaking brake fluid. So disappointing when it's something so small that takes you out of the running.

I am hoping the Wisconsin team can make the trip to Germany in 2009, it was a great time last year and it looks like the competition is just going to get tighter every year!
    Sarah Kirchoff
    Wisconsin Racing
    Frame & Body Group Leader

One of these days when Oklahoma has some money we'll come across the pond.

The level of competition is incredible!

Also, as for Claude, he has very high expectations and can be a bit brusque. But if you take his criticism and discuss things intelligently with him (and aren't afraid to explain yourself,) sometimes he'll let a little gleaming gem out.

We ran into him at the Country Buffet in California and had a pleasant conversation from racecars to politics. Plus the jokes. Gotta love the jokes.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Here are a "few" pictures: Great job!

http://www.formulastudent.de/events/event-2008/gallery/
    Christopher

---
    Lions Racing Team, TU Braunschweig
    2005 Sponsoring, 2006 Frame, 2007+2008 Vehicle Dynamics

www.lionsracing.de
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6x32gMtoi0

Well, first a big thanks to the organizers, judges and sponsors of the event. What an amazing job, they really set an example how such an event should be organized. The facilities, the packed grandstands (how on earth do you get 4000 visitors??), the publicity, the DTM drivers gig, the staff, the live stream!!! etc etc... I can go on for hours.
    The thing that suprises me every year is that they actually want our feedback to improve their event. The fact that they start the event with "the top 10 feedback from last year" and the solutions for that, proves it. It's all about attitude

Congrats to Braunschweig Lions for overcoming their problems, scoring heavily on statics and finishing very close second overall. TU Graz made a big comeback by putting in a strong endurance, I believe the difference was less than 10 seconds. Very sorry to see good teams fail on enduro, like Oxford Brookes and Torino.
    There were a lot of strong teams out there, just look at the scores. We still can't believe we won, especially after such an amazingly exciting "final". After a long delay, being out there with the top 3 cars (I was the first Delft driver) is something I'll remember for a long time. As if it was a movie script with a dramatic ending.

Hats off for Stuttgart, I believe they were on their way to a record amount of points until the chain broke. Take it from a team that failed to finish enduro a couple of times while leading the field, we know how much it hurts. We won the competition, but they won everybody's sympathy. I just wish we could compete with them (and others!) in Italy and Australia.

To Craig Dawson: you made every lap that much more enjoyable with your great comments! SAE should hire you for all their comps

Thanks to all teams for their congrats and for visiting our after-party. I can honestly say I've never seen so many drunk people wearing so many different team-shirts on a campsite.

I hope next year's comp will be every bit as exciting as this one, hopefully more overseas teams will make it as well. Just ask ETS, RIT and Toronto for their opinion about the crazy european competition.

Cheers,
    Miki Hegedus
    Delft University of Technology

Ths FSG event made everyone involved very proud, just looking at the amount of people present for the awards ceremonys, the dynamics events and the format used for the endurance were they saved the best teams for last was just amazing.

Hats off to Delft for their great presence, they had everyone scared in Detroit this year and now they finally got to show how strong of team they really are!

Stuttgart were on record pace, 588 points from 600 before the final endurance event, its just unheard of, the last time a team destroyed the field like that was a few year ago in FSAE Australasia where RMIT had like 950 or 960 points overall I believe. Like Delft mentioned however all great teams have seen the overall win ripped from their hand during the endurance event, FStudent 2007 we passed Stuttgart's 2nd driver during the endurance event to unrim our tire 20 seconds later! Heart breaking but all part of racing. None the less Stuttgart made the competition great, their drivers skill was spectacular, winning the acceleration event with out launch or traction control is impressive to say the least.

TU Braunschweig, What an amazing car to see on the track during the Autocross, the advantage of ABS on a tight track is evident, throwing the car into the corners, the braking points were hardly visible. A great job dynamically but also congradulations for an imressive pressence in the design event.

What I found great about FS Germany was the Cost event, we did not have a cheap car, we prepared a great presentation,did a miticulous job in the report and pulled out almost 92 points, in other events you have to have a rediculously non competitive designed cheap car to win that many points in cost.

The design judges were insane, everyone of them had some sort of motorsport experience and pushed our knowledge further then ever before!

In all it was by far the best event I have seen, not as many teams as Detroit, but more top teams that are strong in statics & dynamics which is what is necessary for the overall win.

We will deffinatively return to FSG next year, I just hope that all the European teams make it to FSAE EAST next year as well.

Jude Berthault
    ETS car #6 FSG 2009
    Team leader

Congrats to the teams and everybody else, what an event!

Although nobody might have noticed us (finishing on some 19th place), Karlsruhe UAS was also there
    And although our "baby tank" was way too heavy, it was reliable at least (didn't have a single mechanical problem), nice to look at, and some 53:xxx laptimes in the enduro were not too bad.

http://www.formulastudent.de/fileadmin/user_upload/all/...Reichmann_1_80pc.jpg
    http://www.formulastudent.de/fileadmin/user_upload/all/..._Hanselmann_80pc.JPG

See you in Italy!

Jan

Jan Dressler
    Karlsruhe UAS Car #99
    Team Engine / Dry Sump
    Jan Dressler
    07 - 09 High Speed Karlsruhe / UAS Karlsruhe: Engine & Drivetrain Team
    09 - 10 High Speed Karlsruhe / UAS Karlsruhe: Engine & Drivetrain Team Leader
    10 - 13 High Speed Karlsruhe / UAS Karlsruhe: hanging around & annoying the team with random FSAE wisdom
    13 - ?? Gätmo Motorsport

Jan,

That's a really nice looking body!!

Can I ask what's the wheelbase?
    Horace Lai

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast