+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Tire Test Consortium -- Round 3

Ben,

Ah, got it. I now see what you meant. Thanks for your input!

Edward
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

Hi all,

The tenative test date of June 28-29 at Calspan is not going to happen. Instead, we are scheduled for August 2-3. This time they bumped someone out of that timeslot for us and Calspan assures me the new date will stick. Considering Calspan is already booked through October (two shifts per day) I guess this isn't too bad. I'm not happy about it, but that's the reality of it.

Edward
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

Hi all,

I spoke with the crew at Calspan earlier today. Right now all systems are go for testing on August 2-3. All tires are in, all wheels are in, we are *extremely* unlikely to get bumped this time, and (except for the ever-possible mechanical issues at Calspan) we fully expect to commence testing on Thursday.

If you wish to attend, please e-mail me once again and I'll give you detailed instructions. I know of members from at least four teams that are interested in watching the testing. I'd suggest visiting on Friday instead of Thursday, since a good part of Thursday may be spent preparing the machine for our tests (which is only slightly more interesting than watching paint dry).

I'll keep you posted on the progress of the tests. Again, we expect the data to be shipped in mid-to-late August.

Edward
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

Hi all,

Calspan is now ahead of schedule. Set-up and machine preparation is now scheduled for Wednesday, with a full day of testing on Thursday and on Friday we'll do whatever's left.

So, the best day to visit the tests is now Thursday. Again, let me know if you plan to attend.

Edward
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

Testing started yesterday afternoon (8/1) and will continue today and into tomorrow. So far so good. Calspan has solved the load control problem they had in the first two tests--a major improvement.

Edward
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

Edward,

Which tire did Michelin submit?

Testing at Calspan concluded late last week. Everything went rather smoothly. I will have the data from Calspan by tomorrow, and then it will take us two to three weeks to obtain models from SES & MRA, compile the DVDs and ship them to consortium members.

If you want to check that I have a functional shipping address for your school please e-mail me directly. Note that we prefer on-campus addresses over private residences.

Someone asked what tire Michelin submitted. It's their 16/53-13 Radial X. According to the sidewall the compound appears to be BL245, although I have not been able to find this as a listed compound on any of the Michelin websites. I'm waiting on confirmation from Michelin that I've read the right code. None of the compound codes listed on their website appear on the tire (unless I'm missing something).

I'll let you know when DVDs are shipping. We're trying to get them out by Sept. 1.

Edward
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

have the Goodyears been retested on the correct orientation for corneing>? And have Goodyear made their choice as to which data are they releasing to us?

Andrew (or Frank...lol)
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The Michelins tested are simply the "B" compound.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

Andrew,

Yes, the Goodyears were tested in both orientations. We hope to release all the data.

For those who weren't at the test, here's the story: The new Goodyear is an asymmetric tire, with painted lettering on one side and the words "mount this side in" molded into the sidewall (small letters) on the other side. Nobody caught this instruction at first, so the inclination angles were initially run the "wrong way" (top out instead of in) for the construction. The tests were later performed with the inclination angle in the correct direction.

The data sent on DVD will contain a note to this effect.

I'm suggesting that Goodyear put the words "mount this side out" on the other side of the tire and make the lettering a bit bigger.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    FSAE Design Judge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast