+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Tire Test Consortium -- Round 3

The load control on some of the runs is REALLY bad.

Please be more specific. Need a file name. I would like to take a look at this. Thanks.

Originally posted by jrickert:
    The load control on some of the runs is REALLY bad.
    I believe this was only during Round 1 of testing. This issue was resolved for later rounds. Remember, the normal loads are a lot smaller then what Calspan normally tests. But yeah it was pretty bad. I think i remember it being off +/- 75-100lbs

Round 1 and 2 are both really bad. Even a few runs from 3 are messed up. If you plan on overlaying graphs of different tires under the same conditions its pretty much impossible without some curve fitting etc. I would suggest that round 4 go back and redo some of these tests. On the up side it gives a wide range of normal loads to look at.

> The load control on some of the runs is REALLY bad.

Some quick comments:

* Unlike data that comes in textbooks, tire data is messy. The real world is often messy, and if you plan a career in engineering I suggest you get used to it. This is why there are many different schemes to model experimental data.
    * Even tire data with good test control is normally modeled, so that intermediate conditions can be predicted. Can't remember the last time that we used raw tire data directly.
    * Some of the TTC data is a little harder to model than normal. As noted earlier, the FSAE load range is much lighter than most tests run at Calspan which makes it a challenge for the machine operators. This is why the TTC organizers and other volunteers have provided "canned" models that you can use to get started.

-- Doug Milliken for the TTC

I have been playing around with the MRA model so far and have had some luck with producing plots that match the raw data.

As judging is concerned, do the judges expect you to construct your own models/curve fits?

We are new to all of this and the "rawness" of the data is intimidating!

How is the progress for an alternate forum dedicated to TTC subscribers?
    University of Houston
    Cullen College of Engineering Alum

As judging is concerned, do the judges expect you to construct your own models/curve fits?
    I can't speak for other design judges, maybe some others will add their thoughts? In my case, I expect you to be able to defend your design and engineering decisions.

For example, if you choose to model the tire data in-house (a tough project) this will consume some of your total time for engineering--I might ask if this was a good choice vs. using your engineering time/budget on some other aspect of your car. Going the other way, if you choose to base your car design on one of the "canned" tire models, I might ask if you made any checks against the raw data (not too time consuming) to convince yourself that the model was working correctly.

See RCVD Chapter 10 for some more detailed thoughts (written about 15 years ago).

Progress on setting up a TTC private forum will continue to be discussed in this thread. We are still looking for someone to volunteer to help out. None of the current TTC organizers have time or resources to set this up ourselves.

-- Doug Milliken for the TTC

See RCVD Chapter 10 for some more detailed thoughts (written about 15 years ago).
    I am interested in helping set up a secure forum.

All we need to do is install that vBulliten php code on donated web space, I believe it is secure and widely used. This wouldnt change the medium of distribution, but would allow free chat regarding this data.

My only question is: could google catch the posts and cache them? Is there a way to prevent that? I ask this because if you search on google, it will display hits that actually search the FSAE forums.

I cant be the only one helping though because I am apart of the Army national guard and might have to leave for a while, so maybe we can get a couple more people and start making this happen.
    University of Houston
    Cullen College of Engineering Alum

WSU can host a forum for discussing TTC stuff in private.

Over the summer we set up a private forum for our team, one of the options is if you want to allow the search bots in, disabling this makes it so that nothing in it will turn up in Google or any other search engine.
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

I've been looking at the Milliken data and I was wondering is there a way to input your own numbers?

Like, let's say I'm looking at the longitudinal force for a specific tire. Is it possible to input my own normal load, mu, etc??

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast