+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Tire Test Consortium -- Round 3

Edith Cowan Racing, Joondalup, Western Australia
    Can I suggest a method of distributing this sensitive data?

Why not set up a very simple website using a CMS (Content Management System) like Joomla or Mambo? These systems have secure user databases built in and any number of 'admins' can authorise/deauthorise users to certain parts of the website.

The best part is systems like Joomla are free! I used it build our team website and it took me a about 20 hours to build in total and I knew nothing about how to build a website.
    Kind Regards,

Chris Lane
    Design Team Leader - ECR 2008
    http://engineering.ecu.edu.au/ecr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Race Tape is like 'The Force'. It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the Unive

Only issue I'd see is the data can get to be pretty enormous.. given that it does come on multiple DVD's. Might be better for physical media than just web-hosted.

Maybe have a choice? Teams who still want hard copies of the data can indicate this. Those who are happy to download can indicate this. two DVDs is just over 9GB. Alot, but not prohibitively massive if you can get someone to host it for you.
    I'd second a call for joomla or similar. Might not be as perfect as a specifically written system, but alot of the hard work is done already and saves a lot of time. Easy to maintain as well because of the good UI.
    Mind the rad!
    Full Blue Racing Alumnus, Cambridge, UK

Hey guys,

I've tried to email Edward Kasprzak but I think he is busy at the moment, so maybe one of you guys can help me out.

Essentially, we dont have a faculty advisor as we are independant of the university. A member of staff has kindly offered to let us put his name down on the TTC application form, but would like to know what is expected of him in advance.

Could anyone let me know what the Faculty advisors contact details will be used for? Is it just to check that we are who we say we are?

cheers,

B
    Mind the rad!

> Could anyone let me know what the Faculty advisors contact details will be used for? Is it just to check that we are who we say we are?

From memory, I think the only time the TTC contacted a faculty adviser was if we were unable to contact the team otherwise...some FSAE students actually graduate<grin>. Your "reluctant staff member" might have to update email for your team contact, nothing more.

Please send TTC membership emails to Dr Kasprzak and cc to me-- doug . milliken at gmail

New topic: It's nice to see the recent posts on ways to improve the TTC data distribution-- please keep the ideas coming.

-- Doug Milliken for the TTC

Hi Doug,

thanks for your reply - the staff member is actually not very reluctant at all, however it is the situation with the department that makes it hard for it to be 'official'.

I'll get the form and cheque together and let you know when it's on its way.

cheers,

B
    Mind the rad!

Anyone know if the aligning torque MRA expansion ever got fixed?

First I put on my MRA hat (and put the TTC hat to one side). Thanks for your interest in the model we donate, I'm curious how your team would like to use it--can you give a little detail?
    To your question, no, we have not updated our tire model, too busy with regular work. Current plan is to do everything at the time of Test #4. I believe that the aligning torque problem is with the data files, some work correctly and some don't (but that is only from memory, I didn't check archives).

Back to the TTC hat, there is some activity starting up for the next round of testing, but still no hard dates.

-- Doug Milliken

Hello:

I have just submitted the registration form. I was wondering if anyone knew the average turn around time for the whole process of acquiring the tire data?

I was hoping for an electronic means of payment to speed it all up.

Thanks.
    University of Houston
    Cullen College of Engineering Alum

Originally posted by Anvit Garg:
    I have just submitted the registration form. I was wondering if anyone knew the average turn around time for the whole process of acquiring the tire data?

I was hoping for an electronic means of payment to speed it all up.
    It's often less than a week in USA, longer to other countries depending on airmail time and my availability--I travel a lot for business. It will probably take you significantly longer to figure out how to use the data (weeks, months) than it does to deliver it!

Since we are all volunteers running the TTC, one goal is to minimize our personal time, thus my request for USA checks whenever possible. For example, wire transfers (bank-to-bank) often take longer overall because of the lack of documentation or other reasons.

As noted earlier in this thread, Dr. Kasprzak is very busy, so I suggest that you cc your registration form to me when you email it to him, doug dot milliken, gmail dot com.

-- Doug Milliken for the TTC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast