+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Tire Test Consortium -- Round 3

The third round of testing at Calspan will be conducted on 21-22 June 2007. Four constructions are scheduled to be tested:

+ Michelin 21x8-13 (radial)
    + Hoosier 20.5x7-13 R25A
    + Hoosier 20x7.5-13 R25A
    + Goodyear D2692 20x7-13

The test plan is similar to that used in the first two rounds of testing, with a few additions. These tires will be tested on rim widths of 6, 7 and 8 inches to measure the effects of rim width on the tire characteristics. The drive/brake tests will be conducted at a few non-zero slip angles to measure friction ellipse effects. The test plan also includes a tire wear study.

Students are welcome to attend the tests at the Calspan Tire Research Facility in Buffalo, NY. Please contact me at kasprzak@localnet.com to make arrangements.

All consortium members will receive the data on DVD a few weeks after the test is completed.

This text, and a full description of the Formula SAE Tire Test Consortium, can be found at http://www.millikenresearch.com/fsaettc.html
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

Very cool! Can't wait to see this stuff.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I made this a sticky - just to make sure everyone has a chance to see this (and get in on it if they haven't yet).

I figured I would leave it a sticky until after this round happens. I could leave it up longer...
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE ˜01 to ˜05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

We are interested in joining this, but I'm assuming we do not have to pay before the testing date to get all current data?
    Northwestern Formula Racing

You can buy in whenever, at which point you get multiple DVDs of goodness from all testing to that point. When further testing is done, you get more. Its an F sweet deal.

Any chance of going to higher slip angles so we can actually see a peak? Or is the lack of a peak just from the low load?

You can see peaks in a lot of the data / fits, theyre just not very pronounced. Beats me why, as far as I'm aware 15 degrees is a lot of SA. But if the machine can do it, a little more would be cool.

By the way for anyone thinkin bout joining the TTC.. I'd say its one of the best investments you can make. Doesn't matter if you know much about vehicle dynamics or tires or suspension, or have any formal training with tire modeling. Just by lookin at the data, playing with all the non dimensional modeling in Matlab, etc.. you learn a ton.

So is that the new goodyear compound, two new hoosier sizes and then the michelins that auburn was running, correct?

Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
    By the way for anyone thinkin bout joining the TTC.. I'd say its one of the best investments you can make. Doesn't matter if you know much about vehicle dynamics or tires or suspension, or have any formal training with tire modeling. Just by lookin at the data, playing with all the non dimensional modeling in Matlab, etc.. you learn a ton.
    I definitely second that one. TTC data is just about the best 500$ you can spend on your car. The amount of understanding of your you can get from the data is phenominal, and you will definietly be able to make a stronger, lighter, and faster car.

Are the Michelin's the FBMW tire, or the custom ones Auburn runs? I understand they have different compounds that you can't get off the shelf.

Originally posted by redline987:
    Are the Michelin's the FBMW tire, or the custom ones Auburn runs? I understand they have different compounds that you can't get off the shelf.
    Could be i just thought whatever auburn has was the new michelin fsae tire or whatever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast