+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Tire Test Consortium -- Round 3

I really hope its their new one, but 21 x 8 seems pretty F big!
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Where did calspan come up with the idea to test rim widths and combined loading conditions?
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

If I remember right the rim widths has been an idea since before Round 1. I'm actually very curious to the effect of running wide rims on relatively narrower tread sections. For example looking at old F1 photos, all the Goodyears on really wide rims.

And I'll say from experience the 2692 on a 6 or 6.5 rim is not happy times. Can't get more than 5.5" of contact even at 8psi.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I very strongly second the idea to do sweeps beyond the peaks. I have been trying to do some simulations for my thesis and the software I am using allows for the input of Pacejka 96 coefficients but it searchs for a peak and crashes if there is no peak. I agree with Tom in that it is strange the peaks (or lack there of) seen in the previous data are hard to explain.

Olly
    UNSW@ADFA
    Olly

Academy Racing 04-07, 09-11
    UNSW@ADFA

How were the decisions made on what testing should be conducted in this round?? Was the original data consulted as to which tyres the teams in the consortium would have liked tested?? I guess i would have thought it would have been very beneficial to see some avon tyres put through their paces considering the large number of teams running them around the world. I'm for sure interested in seeing the radial comparison but was this tyre even on the original selection?

Ash
    Deakin University
    Australia

This is the third round of testing, as far as I know the avon's were tested in the second round.
    2003-2008 UF FSAE

So, is the Michelin 21x8-13 the same as the 16/53-13? If it is then which tire is being tested in this size? According to the Michelin Motorsports brochure there are three tires in that size; the FR-2.0 (which is the newest slick), the S210 (slightly older slick), and the P220 (rain tire). If anyone can clarify which tire is being tested that would be great.

Dave

Originally posted by Dave_Dal:
    So, is the Michelin 21x8-13 the same as the 16/53-13? If it is then which tire is being tested in this size? According to the Michelin Motorsports brochure there are three tires in that size; the FR-2.0 (which is the newest slick), the S210 (slightly older slick), and the P220 (rain tire). If anyone can clarify which tire is being tested that would be great.

Dave
    Michelin NA has been developing an FSAE exclusive tire for a number of years. They have been developing it with Clemson and now Auburn and Georgia Tech. I have spoken with Michelin NA on a couple of occasions and they have been getting it ready to sell to the teams... it might be ready to sell now, I'm not sure as it has been several months since I last spoke to them.

Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
    Its an F sweet deal.
    Claude?

Matt Brown

I have never known what this event is, and finally decided I should...someone fill me, and all the newbies in on what goes on, where, who, and what is available at what cost.
    Thanks
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast