Originally posted by Z:
Matt,

It didn't click at first. I thought "Huh...? Why are they putting their bump rubbers on the OUTSIDE of the springs?"

But it makes a lot of sense now. Quickly inserted spacers take half-a-coil or more out of action, and stiffen the spring-rate up (who needs ARBs!). Plus they act as quickly adjustable bump rubbers for shorter overall travel with smoothly rising rate... I like them!

Also, the way you have kept the dampers (fairly standard FSAE Ohlins style?) in original condition, just with a clamp-on extension, is good. And the spacer adjustment for ride height in that extension also looks sensible...

Z
Z,

They worked quite well. There weren't any spring rubbers for small FSAE springs, but full size rubbers cut in half, then massaged to fit the different coil spacings work quite well. 3 available durometers also provide plenty of options. Design judges didn't seem to like the no arbs setup (especially since we had one in our design report) but I think I did a decent job explaining it at competition. I guess the rest of the guys did enough to help carry us to our Design finishes, even if I was getting grilled, lol.

As for the dampers, they're completely stock Ohlins. The damper cap (aluminum piece that bolts on the top of it) is similar to something we used on our 2009 car (it had a mechanically decoupled suspension that you would really like) just modified to include the ride height adjustment (spacers are nice and repeatable).

-Matt