+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Lincoln 2013

I'm not sure why it's upside down, but here's the picture I took on site of the final results:

https://docs.google.com/file/d...amc/edit?usp=sharing
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

Congrats to all of the teams at FSAE Lincoln.

Huge congrats to the University of North Texas as well. They are a first year team who managed to compete every event including endurance and placed 31st overall. Unfortunately they did not hand out a rookie of the year award this year.

Thanks, mdavis!

Kaley, I appreciate all your hard work to keep eveyone informed! Someone's got to feed the ravenous alumni!

I'll second the mention of UNT. They came to the Texas SAE Student night and gsoaked up all the advice they could get. They did a great job! Husker Motorsports also did very well in their 2nd year.

Looks like A&M's black flag in endurance was due to a faulty stator.

Results from FSAE Lincoln 2013 can be found online at: http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/

Thanks for all the work, we certainly appreciate it! Don't mind Z, he's just antzy.

Are you planning to post Excel versions as well?
    Daniel Wageman
    University of Washington FSAE
    Team 19: Chassis/Data Acq
    Team 20: Data Acq Lead
    Team 21: Engine, Power Package
    Team 22-24: Technical Director

Yes they should be posted online tomorrow under the competition results link.

First, a huge congratulations to all teams!

Since my first competition in 2010, I've always been confused by design. This year has 18 teams tied for 7th (19 if you don't count the penalty), 12 teams for 26th, 15 teams for 39th. Also this year, I know the judege's initial scores (on the design feedback sheets) of two teams in the same bay had a difference of 19 points, yet they both tied for 7th. I understand there is some normalizing done after all teams are judged in the first round, but if far more than half of the teams will tie over just three places it's difficult to see a proper measure between competitors. Especially if you see two judging sheets from the same bay with different scores get the same number of points for design. There should be a better, more accurate way to do this. Though, admittedly, I don't know what it is. Afterall, this is the heart of this competition (IMO, of course!). I can see two or three teams tying for a position, but 18?? Nope.

Originally posted by Screech F50:
    First, a huge congratulations to all teams!

Since my first competition in 2010, I've always been confused by design. This year has 18 teams tied for 7th (19 if you don't count the penalty), 12 teams for 26th, 15 teams for 39th. Also this year, I know the judege's initial scores (on the design feedback sheets) of two teams in the same bay had a difference of 19 points, yet they both tied for 7th. I understand there is some normalizing done after all teams are judged in the first round, but if far more than half of the teams will tie over just three places it's difficult to see a proper measure between competitors. Especially if you see two judging sheets from the same bay with different scores get the same number of points for design. There should be a better, more accurate way to do this. Though, admittedly, I don't know what it is. Afterall, this is the heart of this competition (IMO, of course!). I can see two or three teams tying for a position, but 18?? Nope.
    The issue becomes when you try to normalize 100 teams across 150 points. Thats why they do 10 point increments. Without one group of judges weighing in on every vehicle (done in other competitions, but with <20 teams) you aren't able to say "well, these teams knew their stuff about the same amount, but the equation they showed me on their brakes was far more indepth than the amount of engine tuning these guys did. 95 for them, 93 for them." It just doesn't work out well that way.

With the judge bays, from what I understand is they convene and decide on what level a team knew what they were talking about (this is the key to the event). If they blew the judges away with a spectacular understanding (an A+ if you will) then they get put in the semi-finals. If they knew what they were doing on nearly everything and could explain it (an A grade in class) then they get the maximum points (100 or 110) that they can get without that A+ rating.

Really, if you consider it the same as a letter grade with a point value designated to it, it makes a lot more sense.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

SAE_intl_girl (Kaley),

Thank you for feeding the pigeons.
    ~~~o0o~~~

I like this car. Does anyone have more information on it, such as engine details (apparently 250cc)???

Z

Not to take away from them, the car looks interesting and I like the use of 8" tires (it's on now ) but it seams a bit heavy given the simplified approach?

I would have expected <110kg or 115kg max. I hope they really bring it on with the next car.

For comparison DUT06 was ~120kg with 10" tires and 450cc engine. As far as I know it's the lightest car ever to complete endurance.
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast