+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: how you train driver?

I suggest you train them to run a constant radius test. Pick a radius that consumes almost all the engine power you have. They need to be so smooth that your test data looks analytic. Teach them how to read the test results and get from them engineering feedback in terms of "better" or "worse" from nominal. Since its the same 'car' all the time with different suspension settings, parts and tires and pressures, train them to read the tangent speed. That way you will know when the car is getting better/worse without chewing up the tires. Use the ISO4138 procedure. The calculation of front and rear axle sideslip gains will tell you which setup is "better" or "best". If the driver can't be smooth during this phase of development, they definitely won't be any good at the end.

Drive as often as possible. There is no substitute for seat time.

I agree that there is no substitute for seat time. Data is very powerful in training a new driver too. However, not every school has the budget for data aq. The alternative is walk out on the track and have the driver focus on different sections of the track. Have him drive a straight line and make a left or right turn. This works on many things: acceleration, braking point, trail braking, and downshifting all in one exercise. This can be done with skid-pad type turns like carousels and with slaloms. Maximizing test time is vital in this competition. Use an old car if your new one isn't done yet.
    Team Captain
    FSAE 08'- '09
    Zips Racing 2004-2009

"Before you leave I want to tell you something. Not about the others, but about myself. I used to go to pieces. I'd see an accident like that and be so weak inside that I wanted to quit - stop the

We first choose our drivers with go-karts...

After we have our "top 10" we take our old cars and let them train with the old cars - to get a better feeling for the speed
    team manager - U.A.S. Graz - jrX

We also use go karts as a filter. And let me tell you, we use SHITTY go-karts with a tight cone course we set and you can see HORRIBLE things happen there. Then the 6 heroes that make it to the Formula car, time-race each other in the previous year car, simulating each event except for full lenght endurances (which we replace with like 5 lap sessions or anything that can show consistency and quick drivers but that is longer than a two lap attack). After that we choose the drivers that will be driving at MIS and train them in their particular event.

IMPORTANT. This year we found REALLY helpful to record each driver's session with a GoPro or something like that. Put it over the main hoop, it is not the best place for a show off video, but it definitely shows driver's mistakes, understeer, oversteer, and it is pretty easy for the drivers to see how the good driver does something good that they don't. It is typical to hear a new driver complaining about the car not entering a turn (corner entry understeer) and then you see the video of the guy who drives best and he does it no problemo style, fighting, in fact, with hard braking - downshifting oversteer.

We gained a lot this year with the GoPro, specially getting all drivers up and closer in performance.
    And if you really need a fearless driver, that doesn't worry about death or family...you've got something SERIOUSLY wrong with your car
    hahahhahahah +1

SCCA Solo racing and karting, indoor or outdoor, are excellent ways to develop driver skill.

Several good books include Carroll Smith's Driving to Win, and Going Faster, can't recall the author.
    Bob Beamesderfer
    SCCA Director, 2010 FSAE California Endurance
    Cal Club SCCA

I always took the guys that worked the most on the car and had my own little shootout in the fall. The "TG Shootout with one of the older entries, and it accomplished 2 things. One, it showed that if you work on the cars you get the opportunity to drive (huge moral booster), and two, it allowed me to see who was fast so in the spring not alot of time was wasted sifting through the talent. This worked well for our team.
    Team Captain
    FSAE 08'- '09
    Zips Racing 2004-2009

"Before you leave I want to tell you something. Not about the others, but about myself. I used to go to pieces. I'd see an accident like that and be so weak inside that I wanted to quit - stop the

I don't know how much it helped our drivers, but the FSE teams from Graz, Zwickau, Munich and Zurich had the opportunity to drive the Formula BMW cars for some laps.

http://www.formula-bmw-racing-experience.com/

As far as selecting drivers for the events, it's pretty easy when you have only four potential drivers registered for an event and you're used to testing with about five people.

Regards,
    Thomas

Originally posted by BillCobb:
    I suggest you train them to run a constant radius test....
    Makes a lot of sense to start with a circle--if you have a car ready in time for driver training.

If you don't have an experienced driver and the engineers are going to drive, then I strongly recommend, "The Technique of Motor Racing" by Piero Taruffi. One of the few top race drivers who was also an engineer. The book is old, before drivers had to learn to use aero downforce--perfect for FSAE.

Originally posted by DART-CG:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> usually the driver skill is inverly proportionate to their inteligence!!!!
    Tough statement. OK, take a look at Montoya, or Jimmy Vasser, they fulfill your theory exactly
    But on the other hand, how dumb must have been a Senna or how wise a R. Schumacher??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Senna and Mr. Schumacher were smart enough to tell the engineers what they needed to know, and then let them do their jobs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3