+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Single shear Uprights

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Don't use a bolt, use a stud that you make yourself to whatever tolerances you care about.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought about going this route but was thrown off by the rule that says all critical hardware must be grade 8 or higher. Besides, tolerance on a NAS bolt is .001", and can get reamers with even closer tolerances. Good enough for me to design to.
    '01-'06 Cal Poly Pomona

Good discussion..

I dunno about drilling and tapping dowel pins. Hardened steel, no thanks.

NAS bolt tolerance is that good? Reamer will definately do the trick. Interesting. Might have to take note of this..
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> NAS bolt tolerance is that good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

look for yourself.
    '01-'06 Cal Poly Pomona

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marshall Grice:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Don't use a bolt, use a stud that you make yourself to whatever tolerances you care about.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought about going this route but was thrown off by the rule that says all critical hardware must be grade 8 or higher. Besides, tolerance on a NAS bolt is .001", and can get reamers with even closer tolerances. Good enough for me to design to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't let that stop you. Our '05 car had student-machined studs as I described above, and the front live axle nuts were made in-house as well, out of aluminum. No problems (with these things) in tech.

The "lift the car by the battery to check the tie down" test caught us off guard, though.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

Sudenlee
    You are absolutely right about 'don't do this'. The upper and lower rod ends are in bending during braking, and the upper gets suspension loads passed through it.
    I was pointing out that the upper joint in that picture is how not to use single shear upright joints. But the lower joint (which is not shown very well) is an example of how they can be used correctly.

Yes, you must remove the caliper during wheel changes, but it's really not very hard.
    To be honest, there hasn't been enough testing to find out exactly what effect the brake temp has on the tire temp. I've always made the argument that we have trouble getting our tire temps high enough anyway, so the brakes are probably actually helping.
    The steering geometry is the way that it is because of the spool. I haven't ever driven that car at speed, but sitting still it is one of the lightest steering cars we have.

The team that built that car was very small, even for WWU standards, and what they did acomplish was astonishing. There are definetely some areas of the car that are not entirely thought out, though. The powertrain took so much of their time, that i think some of the other systems sort of fell through the cracks.
    Still, i wish i could have come to school one year earlier and built it with them.
    Justin Foote
    WWU FSAE
    2001 - 2005

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2