+ Reply to Thread

Thread: design consideration of fuel tank wrt engine capacity & speed

hi, please can i know about the fuel tank design wrt to the engine speed ,power & throttle i.e, 20mm restrictor before fuel intake to the engine

If you've never built a car before, you probably don't have a fuel map or any driving time. These things are essential in determining how much fuel you use. Since there is no restriction on fuel tank size, go for a 2 gallon tank (~7.6 liters) to ensure that you don't run out of fuel. If you do extensive driving/testing (simulated endurance race)and you always have half a tank left, make a smaller tank or lower your fill line. Keep in mind different course setups will cause different driving styles and fuel consumption can be very different as well. We ran the 22km on a shorter course that we set up without any fuel issues but when racing in Detroit we were starving the fuel pump with a few laps to go. Hope this helps.

Scott Israel
    Carnegie Mellon University

if you run ethenol, i recomend going with a 3 gal. tank minimum, just to be safe.
    jack
    College dropout extraordinaire
    (formerly WWU Rev-Hone Racing)

i am using Honda CBR 600 f4i engine, then what should be the capacity of fuel tank. plz reply.

Stop flooding the forum with this question and solve it like an engineer would!
    All the comps list the used fuel volume during endurance and via the team websites you are able to get information about the used engines in the respective years. Take the highest used fuel volume, add a safety factor mirroring your confidence in your engine tune and you are good to go.

Geez, I am tired of telling people how being an engineer works...data driven decisions!
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

5 gallons.

Everyone else runs less but given the fact that you can't figure out google I can't imagine you can figure out an ECU.

I chuckled a little bit when I saw the original post was from 2005.....and also one of "those" teams.

Maybe instead of replying to these threads we need to have an admin who deletes the thread, sends the user a message along the lines of "message too vauge, deleted post" and thats that.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

Hey, it looks like there is fun going on in this thread.

http://bit.ly/12hDUr0

Ah, the front page of Google.

Stock uses an 18L tank.
    Using a small safety factor of 1.2, I get 21.6L.

Seems legit.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Why don't we just make a sticky about how to build a fuel tank? Maybe that will stop all these threads.

I'm starting to wonder if every team in the world puts their laziest person on the fuel system, because it's ridiculous how many of these worthless threads are about fuel.

+ Reply to Thread