+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US F1 Race ruined

Holy cow, F1 race ruined by lack of compromise with Michelin tires. Unbelieveable.
    Right now I see 4 pts up for grabs to the team that goes out and does a couple parade laps, I wonder if any team will bite.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

Holy cow, F1 race ruined by lack of compromise with Michelin tires. Unbelieveable.
    Right now I see 4 pts up for grabs to the team that goes out and does a couple parade laps, I wonder if any team will bite.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

I feel so bad for all the people at the race, only 6 cars decided to go out and race . . . wow.

"Michelin have already written to the FIA asking for (a chicane to slow the cars down at one point), after deciding that the tyres they qualified with are not safe to run 73 laps of the high-speed banking. The request was refused."

so all but 6 cars quit.

All I can say is damn.

Greg Oden
    Gregory Oden
    Vandals Racing
    University of Idaho

Incredible, unbelieveable the extent to which politics gets in the way of common sense. A shame in many ways that Jordan and Minardi decided to race at the last minute.

Incidentally, a car has to complete 90% of race distance to be awarded points.
    Simon
    Warwick Formula Student

i agree, a shame that jordan and minardi (and ferrari on their high horse) went out to race. without them, the race would probably have been stopped and/or a chicane added.
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CMURacing - Prometheus:
    i agree, a shame that jordan and minardi (and ferrari on their high horse) went out to race. without them, the race would probably have been stopped and/or a chicane added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, it is a good way for Jordan and Minardi to ensure that they will actually get points this season. :P

Greg
    Gregory Oden
    Vandals Racing
    University of Idaho

What a schimozzle

The FIA really needs to take a tumble to themselves

PS: If anyone on this forum was involved with throwing full beer cans at Ferraris, you missed, damn
    Design Judge

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CMURacing - Prometheus:
    i agree, a shame that jordan and minardi (and ferrari on their high horse) went out to race. without them, the race would probably have been stopped and/or a chicane added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read, it was only Ferrari that was opposed to the addition of a chicane, and that Minardi only went out to race in response to Jordan doing so. I doubt that the FIA would have caved to any request made by the teams (especially with Ferrari not going along, but that's a whole other discussion), even if they were unanimous in approving the course change. Seems to me that they are too interested in running things "by the book" and for the insurance companies as opposed to what would be best for the sport and the show.

Oh well

Definitely a shame. I'd say bye bye to the USGP. This will hurt a lot F1's reputation in the US, and it looks lousy PR-wise for Michelin.

Blame, I think, lies mostly on Michelin though the FIA knew what it was getting into.

The FIA is not to blame for the teams' (in this case, a tire manufacturer's) mistakes; it is not the authorities' fault that the Michelin tires could not run the 73 laps safely. And it is definitely not Ferrari's, Jordan's or Minardi's fault. They had their perfectly working tires and they had all the right to run the race as is, knowing that it would look, of course, dirty.

On the other hand, the FIA knew it was getting knee deep in shit when not complying with any of Michelin's requests. I can understand the denial of the chicane request. The most reasonable thing would have been, in my opinion, to allow Michelin to ship new tires from France, and penalize Michelin teams accordingly. Even though that's a violation of the current rules, we all know that the authorities do whatever they want with the rules when it suits them.

Too bad. This was a tug o' war where everybody lost.

They said on TV that Michelin had the tires there to fix the problem but the FIA wouldn't let them run em.
    I think that ferrari and Bridgestone probably don't feel bad at all after Micheal pulled out of a race earlier this season with a tire blowup.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast