+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotor retention

Hey guys. I'd like to run floating rotors this year with the Brembo P32G calipers. Previously we had fixed rotors with the Wilwood Dynalite single floaters.

I'd like to run a custom steel hub with a custom laser cut/ground steel rotor, and an aluminum adapter inbetween. The problem I'm having is finding an elegantly simple way to retain the rotor to the hub. I hear a bit about a sinusoidal spline, and that sounds like a good idea, but how do I retain the adapter to the hub? I have a step machined out for the rotor adapter to slide up against (over the spline) but should I run a special type of retaining ring? It seems that there is a better way to do this...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott
    Portland State - 2009-11
    Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. - Mario Andret

Whats wrong with bolts and bobbins?

Large Chain links
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

Bolts and Bobbins is likely the easiest way to go as you will see similar set ups on bikes and such.

Bolt your adapter to your hub and use bobbins between the adapter and rotor to float on. Look at braketech.com for ideas.
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

I'm already planning on using those bobbins. Problem with bolts is there's not space for a SHCS or a Hex-Head screw. I hadn't thought much about bolting them to the hub. I'd have to get creative, but it won't be the elegantly simple solution I had hoped for

Any other ideas?
    Portland State - 2009-11
    Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. - Mario Andret

What does your design look like at the moment? Maybe we could offer some more advice if we can actually visualize your problem.
    Matthew Chapman

ADFA Racing
    UNSW@ADFA
    2006-2011

Sure, I'll get a screenshot of our model up soon hopefully.
    Portland State - 2009-11

Here's my idea. Slide the brake rotor adapter over the spline, and retain it against the spline with a retaining ring maybe.
    Portland State - 2009-11

Not sure about a retaining ring with the loads the rotors carry but the spline is a nice idea. Not a bad start to a good system.
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

I think it might be possible to redesign the hub-to-rotor adapters such that they can be bolted to the backside of the hub, or such that they can be sandwiched between the spline and the wheel bearing.
    Portland State - 2009-11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast