+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Live for Speed Autocross Layouts

Dart, I think your tag is inaccurate.

The phrase ˜laws are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools' should not be credited to Colin Chapman, but rather to David Ogilvy, a Scots man who was known as the 'Father of Advertising'. Where did you see that statement credited to Colin Chapman?

Chapman may have been something of a rogue and it is inferred that he had somthing of an odd view on business matters, however, in racecar design he was nothing short of a genius, but as far as I am aware, always worked within the rules....whatever they may or may not have been at the time. I am sure he was personally responsible for many rules being rewritten to remove ambiguity, but I dont believe he ever designed a car that was deliberately outside the rules.

Regards
    Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Hi Pat,

I quoted that from Peter Wrights "Formula 1 Technology". Unfortunately I do not possess the book any longer but I will re-borrow it tomorrow at our universities library.

I still remember that Wright made that quotation concerning banned technologies like the moving twin-chassis of the Lotus 88 to lower the cars' static ride height during driving and to eliminate pitch sensivity problems on the old ground effect cars or Gordon Murrays fan-driven Brabham BT46.
    In my opinion he didn't want to say that you should aspire breaking the rules but push their borders while still being within them.

And that is was Murray did: in 1978 any mechanism which produced static ground-effect (fans, etc...) was't allowed as long as it wasn't needed to cool down the engine.
    Murray used that as a pretense to cool their problematic Alfa Romeo 12-piston flat-twin.

This is my understanding of the quotation. It doesn't mean that our team is keen on pulling a fast one on the rules
    You can convince yourself in Hockenheim

Perhaps the old rogue used that quotation by Ogilvy for himself?!

Do you actually visit the Formula Student event in Silverstone? Or only Hockenheim? It didn't see you on the isle last year...

Best Regards

p.s. As long as this quotation is discussed I change it to a neutral one
    Last edited by DART-CG; 05-19-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Good news folks,

I wrote a new mail to the designers of LFS and Victor van Vlaardingen told me that he will meet with the others designers tommorow to think about a redesign of the FSAE part

I will hold the line!

Great! They better prepare to do a whole lot of cars then.
    Cheers,

Josef Duschl
    www.munichmotorsport.de Alumni
    2007&2008 DAQ & Steering Wheel
    Solving the problems, you wouldn't have without computers.

Well... we are ready to a new competition extra to the usual ones as east, west, germany... FSAE LFS, where you hit restart anytime you fail on the enduro!!
    -----------------------------------
    Drivetrain Leader 07-08
    Technical Director 08-09
    Team FSAE USB - Caracas - Venezuela.

Hi again Dart,
    I am not going to FS in the UK. Other committments and too costly for me to justify.

So, this year, Hockenheim only.

And my favourite 'Chunky'Chapman saying? "Add lightness and simplificate" (Not sure that that was his originally either)

Cheers
    Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

For the hell of it I grabbed LFS.. cool lil game. Their auto-x "lot" map is a little narrow.. but workable.

Default setup for that "MRT" car in game is junk IMO, but you can get the thing to handle decently with some tweaks. Not sure how close it handles to their real car, but it would be cool to be able to change weight distribution and torque curves and all and see what happens.

Hi,

today I received the following answer from the LFS designers:

Hi,

Ah sorry, I never replied to you.
    On the one hand that is because on the short term we are too busy to
    accomodate FSAE more.
    On the other hand we do have some ideas on how to support the whole FSAE
    community more in the long haul. I can't really elaborate much on this at
    the moment, but we do see how LFS can be used more nicely for SAE purposes
    and so there's room for improvements, such as some of the things you already
    mentioned, like increase object count and make a bigger area. We've some
    more ideas too, though too inconcrete at this time to mention, but should be
    very much worth it if it works out.

So in short - we do hope to accomodate FSAE more in the future. But we've
    just a lot of things to do, so it may take a while.

Regards,

Victor van Vlaardingen

I'm anxious to know what happens in their next release

Big huge bump, but anyone have any updates on this, or any good autox/endurance layouts?
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

We have a couple from the past few years. Our 2009 FSAE-A track is the most accurate/ most complete.
    "He who dies with the most toys wins"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast