+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CAM Software packages

We here at Miami just picked up a new HAAS CNC mill, and we're looking to do a bunch of our new parts on it. We're limited however as only one of our members knows how to write good G-code. Our shop adviser has charged us with finding a good CAM software package. We're currently demoing MasterCAM, and have the license for NX, but have no idea how to use it (and no good post processor for it). Does anyone have any good suggestions on CAM packages, or a good tutorial/HAAS post processor for NX they'd like to share?
    "It seems like engineers learn a hell of a lot of math just to drive a train..."

Sam Sather
    2008 Team Captain
    Miami University Redhawk Racing
    www.MiamiRedhawkRacing.com

We here at Miami just picked up a new HAAS CNC mill, and we're looking to do a bunch of our new parts on it. We're limited however as only one of our members knows how to write good G-code. Our shop adviser has charged us with finding a good CAM software package. We're currently demoing MasterCAM, and have the license for NX, but have no idea how to use it (and no good post processor for it). Does anyone have any good suggestions on CAM packages, or a good tutorial/HAAS post processor for NX they'd like to share?
    "It seems like engineers learn a hell of a lot of math just to drive a train..."

Sam Sather
    2008 Team Captain
    Miami University Redhawk Racing
    www.MiamiRedhawkRacing.com

We use Gibbs CAM with our Haas machines. It's very intuitive yet can easily be usd to sketch in 3D stuff or import drawings from CAD programs.

We use the NX package, which is not intuitive, is pretty buggy, and requires a lot lot lot of fiddling with to get anywhere close to an ok outcome. Unfortunately, we don't have access to anything better yet (but I am going to research MasterCAM also). We do use NX to run our TREE and Bridgeport mills, and Okuma lathe though.

It took two guys with NX experience (but not too much CAM experience) probably upwards of 30 hours to program the code for our uprights last year, most of which was learning their way around the software. They could probably do it now in 2-3, but the learning curve was really tough.

My brother told me he learned MasterCAM and had his code in less than an hour for engine-to-dyno mounting plates.

NX is incredibly powerful though, and we are getting better at it, just don't expect to sit down after lunch and be cutting that afternoon the first couple times.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

I use mastercam. Very easy to use.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

Catia has one of the best CAM packages out there, and since it's tied into the CAD side seamlessly making changes is as easy as it gets. Educational versions are stupid cheap, and it looks very good on the resume.

In the end it's a lot like CAD, there are a few odd ball cheap versions out there, but the big dogs are all very similar, and since we're talking about a current edition, very easy to learn. I would suggest something tied to your CAD package (Catia, ProE, UG, or one of the add on modules for SolidWorks)

A word of warning however, take the time to learn G-code. Program something simple but do it several times to try out the different offset tricks, circle call-outs and drill cycles. Jumping straight into a CAM package and expecting to not crash the machine would be like expecting to get good results out of an FEA package with nothing more than high school physics behind you.
    UW FSAE 05-06
    WWU FSAE 02-04

I have been using MasterCAM in conjunction with Catia as my CAD package and HAAS Mills / lathe. MasterCAM is very intuitive and provides good code quickly. We have found a few bugs with it during post processing, but to over come this we just check the code in another 3rd party program, which I cant remember the name of for the life of me right now. This setup seems to work quite well and as MasterCAM allows you to simulate your job you can load some creative stocks in there to check for any mistakes or clashes, (while doing some small suspension components I had the whole table, and chuck drawn up as a step file to make sure the tool cleared everything it was meant to)

On another note, Travis do you use HAAS mills with Catia? We have been unable to locate a post processor for Catia - HAAS and it is something that would make things even easier for us.

Cheers Matt
    Matthew Chapman

ADFA Racing
    UNSW@ADFA
    2006-2011

Also note that not all machines work in G-code that can be understood. i.e. relative vectors are hard to visualize throughout a workpiece, and I'm not even convinced the code that our post-processor uses is standard g-code. Google returns nothing when I search for some of the commands....

They call it UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG for a reason.

Our MNET department currently has Gibbs cam, which we will not touch because of all the problems that they have with the post processors. We seriously want MasterCAM, but the club just doesn't have the finances this year. I watched a part get machined today that had the tool path made in MasterCAM and it worked like a dream. However, it does make a difference when you have an actual CNC machinist running the machine for you.

With their educational discounts, you can get a lot of bang for your buck.
    Wild Hare Racing:

The Heat and Power Lab
    ?-2008
    Rest in Pieces

We have used Gibbs Cam in the past, and had relative success with it without any post processor issues on HAAS machines (VM-3, Super VF-4,VF-2, mini-mills, TL-10 lathe, etc)

Our machining guy this year is using surfcam and makes amazing parts with it, but I persoanlly can't comment on how easy or hard it is to use. The MFE department tries to use Esprit, but thus far we've avoided it, as it is not intutive at all.
    WPI Formula SAE team

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast