+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aprilia Specific Specifications Wanted

We blew 3 starters before we changed the set of starter gears, and then we didn't blow any. Have you guys done the same thing? For us, it seemed to do wonders.
    Didier Beaudoin
    École Polytechnique de Montréal 2005-2008
    École nationale d'aérotechnique 2004

I believe that starter part number was originally used on a 50cc scooter. not a good idea for a high compression 550cc.

the clutch won't work properly until the transmission oil is up to temp (i.e. it will drag until the tranny oil has warmed up, prolly 70-80 Celsius)
    Erich Ohlde
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    FSAE 04 - 09

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smo

Erich,

We did manage to get an '08, so we shouldn't have to open it up to fix the leakage issues.

The plan is also to limit starting times with a relay. I anticipate us burning through at least a starter as we get it to run, but I'm anticipating being OK with reliability once we get to that stage. I heard a lot of the Aprilia teams just crank on it for so long at competition, it's no wonder the starters gave up. If it doesn't try to go in the first 5 revolutions, something's up.

And Zach, we have the manual for the engine... it has a lot of those dimensions. Once we get ours in we can measure head geometry without pulling it apart.

But we DO need discharge or flow coefficients! If anyone is willing.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Wes, I tried looking in the PDF engine manual on our network drive. NONE of those measurements were in there. Is the hard copy manual a different manual altogether?

Zach Moorhead
    Sooner Racing
    Zach Moorhead
    Sooner Racing

We burnt one starter and on sprage clutch, which I believe, caused our starter failure. It was missing a needle bearing witch is strange because we bought a bike with 500 miles and the motor was never apart it had to poor QC from the factory. This was all just getting the engine running on the engine dyno with stock wiring ecu exhaust and intake. We ran our car with stock ecu and used tune boy to tune it wasn't the greatest but we didn't get our engine till February and didn't have the time to get it running on motce but we will be on motec in 09 it ran very good on the stock ecu with stock tune with our intake and exhaust it only needed a small amount of tuning that we did on our chassis dyno in less that an hour. Some one mentioned limiting the staring time this is done on the factory ecu it limits it to five seconds than you must turn power off and on and try again. Our car always starts know since we got back from Detroit and its not so cold and damp. These things don't like temps less then 50 F

Jayhawk electrical what was wrong with your car on endurance day you guys burnt up both of the starters we gave you. Which reminds me I got a rebuilt one back from Tim but I still have the other one you guys burnt up I need to get it rebuilt.

We are picking up our 09 motor on Thursday so it we be time to start playing with the motec. If I could give any suggestions to a first year team with an aprilia is run it on a stock ecu if you have it you going to have lots of other problems this will just make it easer on yourselves

Brian
    UNCC FSAE

sprag clutch went south.
    tim is in wisconsin for a vacation, i'll remind him that we still owe you guys a starter.
    Erich Ohlde
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    FSAE 04 - 09

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2