+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2010 SAE World Congress

You should be fine in Dearborn. If you're near Garden city in dearborn even better. I am just exagerating a bit about Detroit. Just keep to yourself and don't walk around in the "not good" areas after 8:30 and you will be fine.

Dearborn will be okay. It's not far. Maybe 15 minute drive to Cobo Hall? Just take I-75 all the way downtown.

Stay in your group, and don't get rowdy with locals.
    -----------------------------------
    Phd - Materials Science
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Former FSAE Windsor 08 Body team
    Former Supermileage Windsor 09 Body team

If you stay in Canada or plan to go to Canada for a meal or a beer, remember it IS a foreign country, and you will need a passport or "equivalent travel document", what ever that is!!

More information on this web site:
    http://gocanada.about.com/od/c.../uscitizenborder.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Royce:
    If you stay in Canada or plan to go to Canada for a meal or a beer, remember it IS a foreign country, and you will need a passport or "equivalent travel document", what ever that is!!

More information on this web site:
    http://gocanada.about.com/od/c.../uscitizenborder.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. Passport only basically. No Passport = No Canada

Yes Passport = Epic times in Canada
    Phd - Materials Science

So I've never gone to one before and I'm wondering how it works. When you go to the technical sessions do they give you the paper, can you take notes on what they're saying, or are you expected to buy the paper, or what?
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

They donot give you the paper. You have to buy the papers online IF you want it. Many a times the authors are nice enough to forward you the working paper version possibly through email. There are discounts for papers online. The university should cover these costs.

You can take notes on the presentations. The abstracts are available online.

Find a list of things you want to attend. there will be bunch of career fairs and so on. Make a list of the technical sessions you want to attend and do so. You can switch between technical sessions from one room to the other. Right when one person finishes, you can leave and goto some other one.

if you want to network with a particular person, then stick around till all the presentations in that block are done and then talk to the person. Usually 4-5 presentations in every block, so space your time accordingly.

Any further questions, let me know.
    Phd - Materials Science

So, it's just around the corner. Me and another guy are going, maybe another yet. PM me to get my number. It'd be cool to meet up with other SAE people.
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

I am very surprised more people are not going. I remember back in the day this was the prime event for all FSAE teams.

There is a massive career fair and the networking possibilities are endless.
    Phd - Materials Science

Yeah, that's funny. I remember my freshman year, would have been spring '03, both formula and baja filled their own 15 passenger vans. Was a good time. Now the only ones going are a couple of grad students.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

Just got back from the first day. Gave a decent presentation I think. A few students were there doing some hard note-taking. I wonder if they are from here.

SAE World Congress is the biggest event for anyone who wants to be in the automotive field. Chrysler, TATA, GM, Volkswagen,KIA/Honda, etc were recruiting hard today at the career fair, and here I thought the economy was in a recession lol. They had soooo many jobs, and were exclusively recruiting from the SAE congress too.

If any graduate students here want to attend Lotus event at some lounge shoot me a private message. It should be a good time. I think the CEO and Chief Tech Officer and bunch of their R&D guys will be there. If not see you all at banquet possibly.
    Phd - Materials Science

Lucky you!!
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2