+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waiting period

Is there any way that we could establish a wiating period, like when you buy a firearm, for new members. I think after they read through the first five posts on the forum that they could get the idea that they need to use the FIND tab rather than pissing off the people with good information by asking, "Could you tell me the answer to my obscure question? I haven't researched and don't want to design it."

I think when we get to the point that we have newbs starting posts about topics that already exist, some within the 1st page of topics, it has gone to far.

Back to the question at hand. Is it possible to create a waiting period? If not, could those of you who are directing your new team members here, give them a training session on how not to piss off the forum?

Sorry for the new topic, and rant
    Bill

Is there any way that we could establish a wiating period, like when you buy a firearm, for new members. I think after they read through the first five posts on the forum that they could get the idea that they need to use the FIND tab rather than pissing off the people with good information by asking, "Could you tell me the answer to my obscure question? I haven't researched and don't want to design it."

I think when we get to the point that we have newbs starting posts about topics that already exist, some within the 1st page of topics, it has gone to far.

Back to the question at hand. Is it possible to create a waiting period? If not, could those of you who are directing your new team members here, give them a training session on how not to piss off the forum?

Sorry for the new topic, and rant
    Bill

Best solution IMO would be that one cannot create a new topic until you have 5 posts or so...
    mmmm..... Garlic.

fantastic idea

How about, I become the moderator and ban at will.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

do you get to use your pistols?

hello Bill & Company,

If these new members are asking such simple questions, then how is it that none of you guys are able to respond? If they are such stupid questions then why not try and help them constructively with there new found passion.

Second point, If you are going to blast someone at least have the balls to put down your name , which university you come from etc.. so we can go check out your cars and see if they are any good, that way your negative remarks might hold some backing,

This is my fourth year being involved with Formula SAE and i find that lots of members do not have any respect for those that are new to this forum, i agree that some time there are some really basic questions asked when there are already posts listed about the same topics, however what good does it do just wasting time being mean and cruel to them.
    It has been mentioned lately that two years back this forum had alot more credibility, it is true, back in the day every one was more contructive and tried to help eachother out more.

Anyways feel free to blast me if you want but first go check out my teams cars, i'm sure if you were to come see us at competition or any other hi placed design team you would realize that being on the ball does not necessarly mean you have to be an ass with those that ask simple questions, Cornell, UWA, UTA, RMIT, Penn state, Waterloo etc.. all do very well in design every year but at the same time are very aproachable at competition even when very buissy.

Anyways im no expert i just am kind of fed up of all the negative energy on this forum, remember above all we are here to learn, sometime teaching other give you the possibility to better understand certain subjects.

Take care,

Jude Berthault
    ETS FSAE 2003-Current
    Vehicle Dynamics Leader

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a certain amount of preparation or reading of past posts before asking a question on here.

Jude, people should be able to use the search button. It's not like the internets were invented yesterday. I spend a ton of time with new kids, teaching them things. But why should I answer the same question over and over and over? I loose all patience when people won't learn to help themselves.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

I think it's not the problem of asking simple question, rather, it's how the simple question is being asked. I think both Bill and Jude has a point in their reasonings.

having been in this forum since it first started (and way before that; mailing list), i have to agree that improvement is needed with the way that members post comments/questions. By the way Mike Cook, i wish that was possible (none of the moderators have that option)

And i think respects go both ways in this forum. The newbies have got to use the search forum, and the seniors can at least show the link to the previous thread were and if the topic had already been discussed.

But in all honesty, if we didnt have all these posts from newbies, i do think that this forum will have its "silence-period". It had happened a lot before.

p/s: no complaints other than the 2 posts about carbon fibre wheels. You have to agree, it's just mind boggling to know that for someone who built a CF chassis can create the same topic which was discussed a day earlier and managed to say "these ppl come and go". Go figure.
    RiNaZ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast