+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waiting period

Jude,
    I think that we have to stop making excuses for the newbs' poor preparation. Why should anyone on this post have to do the searching for the newbs? You are saying that if the newb doesn't search, we should and then post that prior topic for them to read. Should we also read it to them. That IS the next step.

I teach students that are in high school. I, and other teachers, find that these excuses for people being lazy only encourages those behaviors. I don't think anyone is asking alot on this forum by expecting the newbs to do a LITTLE research and searching before they ask a question.

Bill

How about a 'sticky' at the top like in other forums that instructs people to use the find feature and that also has a small paragraph declaring that the moderators will move obviously asked questions to some other topic folder.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Kunst:
    Jude,
    I think that we have to stop making excuses for the newbs' poor preparation. Why should anyone on this post have to do the searching for the newbs? You are saying that if the newb doesn't search, we should and then post that prior topic for them to read. Should we also read it to them. That IS the next step.

I teach students that are in high school. I, and other teachers, find that these excuses for people being lazy only encourages those behaviors. I don't think anyone is asking alot on this forum by expecting the newbs to do a LITTLE research and searching before they ask a question.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The questions you are talking about are not a problem on this forum, the problem is that any time anyone asks a question that you know the answer to, you and half the other people on the forum blast them with self-righteous posts filled with arrogant words like "newb". So now people are afraid to ask any question and the forum is filled with topics like this that have nothing to do with fsae. At least posts like "carbon fiber wheels" are about racecars. I don't think someone like you needs to be teaching forum etiquette since most of your posts not only completely lack any useful information, but are usually off topic rants.

No one is suggesting that you need to do forum searching for, as you call them "stupid fucks" with "your head buried up your asses". If you don't like the post, ignore it. Or reply to it with a decent response. Even a "this topic was discussed previously, please use the search feature" would be nice.

Remember, it takes half of a second to click the back button, but several minutes to make yourself look like an arrogant asshole.
    Matt Brown

I understand that it is tiresome to answer the same questions over and over. If I have a question, I try to bring it to my teammates first and foremost - after all, they are the most knowledgeable about our car design.

I am a newbie on this forum, but I have belonged to other car-related forums for a long time. Because of their nature, there is an incredible amount of collective knowledge available, and this one is probably at the top of any I've frequented.

But often, posts that have been previously discussed are not as clear as they could be. While something might've been mentioned in a discussion, it's hard to draw important facts from a post that wasn't designed to answer your question.

I'm sure there are plenty of "hey whats the best way to make 4000 HP" posts, and I try to avoid making any posts that are inane, but, no offense, most of the engineering profession aren't writers. They say enough to get their point across in a given situation, and the rest is up to interpretation.

To be honest, some of us newbs know you guys know a ton of stuff, and want to soak it up. Sometimes we get a little excited and want to talk to people instead of reading Member X talk to Member Z about something related, but different than our own question.

And there's a difference between reading a book and interacting with people that know things. You get something out of the interaction that the books can't duplicate.

I agree, newbies should definitely try to do their research. But don't scare us off. We just want to be loved.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

How about if someone starts a thread that has already been discussed you just dont respond. The only topic I am sick of seeing on this forum is what to do about "newbs". I agree its annoying when a person asks what engine they should use or something like that, but thats why browsers have "back" buttons.
    Bryan GilroySmith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Cook:
    How about a 'sticky' at the top like in other forums that instructs people to use the find feature and that also has a small paragraph declaring that the moderators will move obviously asked questions to some other topic folder.

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was thinking. I dont want police on here, but some of the neverending how do i build a formula car questions I could live without.

A new members section would be good to have too, so that they can get their feet wet somewheres before jumping in the ring with us 4 year fsae'ers

oh and I was wondering if you guys could help me with our car this year? I have a few questions:
    what engine should we run
    How do I design a suspension
    sweet, I get a free turbo, thats a direct boltup right?
    ect ect......
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Kunst:
    Pat,
    I am new to the forum, but not to working on a team, or going back as an alumni to help support teams in tech and manufacturing expertise. I really think the main problem is that everyone wants instant gratification. Its like self pleasure without the work. I ask for the answer, someone hopefully replies with the right answer. No work for me, YEA!!

I find that many morons, from the states, have grown up on hondatunermycarisfastertech.com/forum and don't know how to search anywhere, which is evident within this site. Using dogpile, yahoo, google can get you most of the results you get here with less time and insult. Sure, we may never be able to find the directions on home to build a winning FSAE car on the net, but we can ask someone and they might just tell us.

So, to sum up this long post, laziness craps up this forum and almost all others out there.

My five cents,
    Bill Kunst </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

The above was one of your very first posts on this forum. You came on throwing insults and it has never stopped.

Perhaps you can be more understanding of the folks who come on here to seek the advice of other FSAE members. I did a search of your posts and I didn't see one that actually asked another member of this community for their help or advice on anything technical. I know it is very hard for you to understand, but there are people out there that do not know everything. The people who do not posses the all-encompassing knowledge that you do actually come here to both learn and share whatever knowledge their feeble little minds might posses. I am not sure why somebody who already knows everything would take their time to point their browser to FSAE.com. Could you enlighten me? If you have already covered this in a previous post, please accept my apologies as I must not be as proficient with the search feature as you are.
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

Sam,
    I have been trying to figure out how to respond to this. I will just answer your question. I don't post a lot of questions, as I am not in the competition. I read what others have to say, ask questions under their topics, and try to provide help and suggestions (like this topic). I don't know all the answers, and have never pretended to. I do know how to search, as do you, and have done it many times for people. Sorry if you feel that this topic hurts feelings, or the forum, but I think it is important.
    Bill

Oh yeah, I hope you didn't read through nine pages of the BS I posted.

Hey Bill....just go away.

Second to Bill going away...Man law.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast