+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: reverse engine

Hello all
    this is my first year as a member in this project. our team, as well as many other teams, uses motorcycle engine. our engine is installed the same way as it is installed on the motorcycle, which means exsust pipe in the front side and carbs on the back side. why not turn it around(similar to the cannondale off-road motorcycle...)??? is there a team that did it? can anyone think of a reason not to do this?
    BGR - Ben Gurion Racing

Then you'd get 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.

so you reverse the spin from the engine, not too big of a problem.
    BGR - Ben Gurion Racing

I believe Michigan Tech did this a few years ago. I think they want as far as spinning the engine in the opposite direction. This included making a new impeller for the water pump and new cams. I'm pretty sure it was a dry sump with an external pressure pump. Its been a long time though so I could be completely wrong on the details of how they did it.
    Kettering University FSAE (99 - 03)

Auckland, NZ did it last year, and took the car to Germany. I'm not 100%, but I believe that they haven't changed the layout this year.

Hope that helps

We didn't exactly reverse the engine. What we did was tilt the engine backwards, so the sump became near vertical, the headers went up and the intake downwards. T

his set up lowered the COG by about 50mm and allowed us to lay the driver back (dropping their COG) as the engine fits better into the car.

But it's not all cream. The oiling system is of no real use, but if you come up with a sweet dry sump that will over come this.
    Brent

3rd world solutions for real world problems.

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

I think that MTU just changed cam timing and ran the intake through the original exhaust port and the exhaust through the intake ports. Then the only thing that needs changing is cams.
    Bill

Just flip the head around backwards...

Billy Wight
    University of California, San Diego - Formula SAE 2004-2006

Billy
    That is only possible with a centered cam drive. I think this was a feature only on suzukis, but could be wrong.

Billy
    That is only possible with a centered cam drive.

That's true, but this was a Yamaha FZR. Not sure about the Suzuki. It wasn't really as easy as just turning it around backwards...
    Billy Wight
    University of California, San Diego - Formula SAE 2004-2006

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast