+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamaha WR450 model

Hey everyone,
    I've got to design a new chassis for our car, and we are planning on integrating a new WR450 engine in. I have been looking everywhere for a Solidworks model of a WR450, but cant find anything. Would anyone know where I could find one? or if anyone have a model would it be alright for you to email me.

Cheers everyone.
    Jakob
    Queensland University of Technology
    jakob.badenhorst@connect.qut.edu.au

I'd suggest looking for a local company with a laser scanner. We did that and it worked out pretty well for our LTR450

Ben

A CMM produced more useful data on mounting points than our laser scanning option.

Whoever imported our CBR scan imported and tied together the whole point cloud (or the turd as it has been named). Not advisable if you want your computer to not overheat trying to rotate a view. And pretty much useless. We just have the CMM points in a 3D sketch part, and a block model engine on top for now.
    University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports Alumni
    http://www.uwfsae.ca/

Originally posted by ,4lex S.:
    A CMM produced more useful data on mounting points than our laser scanning option.

Whoever imported our CBR scan imported and tied together the whole point cloud (or the turd as it has been named). Not advisable if you want your computer to not overheat trying to rotate a view. And pretty much useless. We just have the CMM points in a 3D sketch part, and a block model engine on top for now.
    This is a very good point. The scanner we used from Romer had both a laser and touch CMM attachment for doing a general surface as well as the mounting points.

Jakob,
    Do you have this motor in your shop?
    It is possible to make an engine model without a scanner.
    If you have a current license for Solidworks as well, go ahead and obtain a level, a decent caliper(dial or digital), and a good sized straight edge.

Basic engine models that include mounting points, seem to make themselves in about 4 hours or less when these materials are together.

You can weigh you motor, and continue chassis design from there until you get access to tools that give give a finer resolution model.

Kracer,
    Nah we dont have this motor in the shop, otherwise I would've got into it already. We wont be buying the motor till early next year. I just needed the mounting points and a general shape. Someone sent me a model of a ZYF450. Its a bit bigger than the wr450 but it'll do for now. Just until we have the motor to design it properly.
    Cheers

Jakob,

Is there a WR450 dealership close by?
    For the motor I was looking into, there was a dealership that had them in my city.
    This dealership was comfortable with me just measuring the bike right there in the showroom.
    Take all the same materials.
    Explain your story.
    Go when it's not busy.
    The employees will probably enjoy hearing about the project.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your replies, sorry for the lengthy time in replying back. I did receive a model from someone in late December but I think it was for a YFZ450 or something, so it was good for getting rough size to start designing the chassis. But it wouldn't have been the greatest to accurately get mounting points etc.

But yea a while searching for a WR450 We finally found one and is actually getting it on Friday, so next week we'll probably head off to the shop of a connection of ours to get a 3d scan done of the engine.

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it

Our team has one of 2004 WR450, but its fairly rough. I'll ask the current captain if he feels comfortable sharing it.

could share the WR450 model with me?I can't find it anywhere.I will be deeply grateful to you.my email:qian475956038@163.com
    Originally posted by Jaaps:
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your replies, sorry for the lengthy time in replying back. I did receive a model from someone in late December but I think it was for a YFZ450 or something, so it was good for getting rough size to start designing the chassis. But it wouldn't have been the greatest to accurately get mounting points etc.

But yea a while searching for a WR450 We finally found one and is actually getting it on Friday, so next week we'll probably head off to the shop of a connection of ours to get a 3d scan done of the engine.

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it

+ Reply to Thread