+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicks in FSAE

I am writing a paper on the stereotypes at SAE shops across the country. I would like to know how many girls are working at your shop and what they do. For example do you have a couple girls that belong to your club but they mainly work with business and the administrative things or do they work on the car. What I want to know is how many girls do you have in your club that actually work on the SAE car.

Also I would like to know how these girls are treated. Do you treat them like one of the guys or do you treat them like they have no idea what they are doing?

I know this has been asked before but it was a really old thread and I need some more recent information.

Thanks for all of the help!

I am writing a paper on the stereotypes at SAE shops across the country. I would like to know how many girls are working at your shop and what they do. For example do you have a couple girls that belong to your club but they mainly work with business and the administrative things or do they work on the car. What I want to know is how many girls do you have in your club that actually work on the SAE car.

Also I would like to know how these girls are treated. Do you treat them like one of the guys or do you treat them like they have no idea what they are doing?

I know this has been asked before but it was a really old thread and I need some more recent information.

Thanks for all of the help!

We have two girls on chief positions, Brakes and ergonomy/aero, Also 2 more, on public relations and suspension.

Last year we had almost 8. Some related to tech issues on the car.
    -----------------------------------
    Drivetrain Leader 07-08
    Technical Director 08-09
    Team FSAE USB - Caracas - Venezuela.

Im a girl working in the shop, so I can tell you some stuff. Well, at the beggining they are cool and normal, after you gain some time with them, then you became one of the "guys", you hear each and every discusting stuff they are talking about,you also know what they truly think about some girls, and there is the typical relationships and hookups.
    But in general I´ve been treated well, I have nothing to complaint about. They make jokes and stuff, but nothing unusual or disrespectful.
    it would be really stupid not treating well a girl if you need people working on the car, and future people to stay in the team. Plus, you need some eye candy!! hahahahaha you are around with the same guys 24/7,and you push away the girls of your team?? Not very smart for an engineer =).

(sorry if I misspelled something)
    Vane

We have one girl on our team. Naturally she does the cost report/business stuff, but she's also in charge of driver controls/ergo. She has no idea what she's doing, and is treated exactly the same as any other member who has no idea what he's doing.

We certainly do NOT treat her as one of the guys. We make FAR too many sexist jokes in the shop to ever expose a female to that level of bigotry.
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

Our team is twelve percent female. One of them is our VP. She handles the cost report and all the school related paperwork, RSO, travel stuff, the whole nine yards. The other one just joined the marketing/ fund raising team, she works on the car as well. The shop is definatly a little more PC when the girls are arond, but for the most part they just fit right in with the rest of us.
    Mike D
    UTSA 04-

...just to brag, my formula hybrid team is almost 1/4 female
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

that's about the same with Dartmouth and FIT (Florida Inst. of Tech) i think. Im guessing there are more female in electrical than in mechanical. Embry-Riddle F-Hybrid has at least 2 girls in the team.
    RiNaZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RiNaZ:
    that's about the same with Dartmouth and FIT (Florida Inst. of Tech) i think. Im guessing there are more female in electrical than in mechanical. Embry-Riddle F-Hybrid has at least 2 girls in the team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're saying it's going to be a babe fest in New Hampshire in May?
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

I dont know about that ... female yes, babe ... well, that's too big of a word to define
    RiNaZ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast