+ Reply to Thread

Thread: analysis

hello guys
    im doing force analysis for my team on ansys workbench and facing some problems..example,

suppose im doing analysis on a square block and applying force on 1 side perpendicular to it and for constraint-
    1 fixing other side
    2 giving frictionless support on other side or giving displacement support in which im giving 0 displacement for opposite side

shouldn't answer be the same???im getting it different..i mean different stress values

How different are they?

I would not expect them to be exactly the same.

Think about the effect end constraints have on buckling...is a fixed end the same as a free end?
    --
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    http://illinimotorsports.net

but if i apply frictionless support to the opposite face,
    will it not act as a fixed support for the force in direction perpendicular to the face??

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask this of your instructors? Or your ANSYS reseller?

Originally posted by A:
    will it not act as a fixed support for the force in direction perpendicular to the face??
    "I don't need to learn this stuff because I can just have the computer do it"

I think you need to meet our friend Poisson

Agreed with exFSAE, this would be a great question for a professor. Try your mechanics of materials guy (the one who teaches you about stress and strain)
    --
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    http://illinimotorsports.net

Originally posted by Sormaz:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A:
    "I don't need to learn this stuff because I can just have the computer do it"
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reminds me of what Pat Clarke said in many design review presentations.
    "Garbage in garbage out"

A, fixing a face and supporting against a force are two very different things.
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

dude the thing is that is the only force im applying...in that case shouldn't it be same??

But where/how is that force going to be resisted in each case?
    Cheers

Swinburne University of Technology

Originally posted by A:
    dude the thing is that is the only force im applying...in that case shouldn't it be same??
    Fixing a face is fixing the elements on the surface area, there is no degree of freedom for the surface elements.
    On the other hand if you put a friction less support (sliding support) it still gives the surface elements DOF in the remaining other 2 axes.
    Why it makes a difference?
    If you cared, could have used Sormaz's hint and taken a minute to think about this.

by Sormaz:
    I think you need to meet our friend Poisson
    Open your mechanics of materials text book or at least google Poisson Effect...
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

+ Reply to Thread