+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Damper Histograms

When I went on a Claude Rouelle seminar he explained damper histograms and that a symmetrical distribution was desirable.

At the time he mentioned a document he would be prepared to send us explaining in more detail the theory behind why this is the case. I've emailed him a number of times to get that document and received nothing.

Two questions really, if anyone has this document would they be prepared to send me a copy? Secondly, what is other people's understanding of why damper histograms should be symmetrical?

Ben
    -

When I went on a Claude Rouelle seminar he explained damper histograms and that a symmetrical distribution was desirable.

At the time he mentioned a document he would be prepared to send us explaining in more detail the theory behind why this is the case. I've emailed him a number of times to get that document and received nothing.

Two questions really, if anyone has this document would they be prepared to send me a copy? Secondly, what is other people's understanding of why damper histograms should be symmetrical?

Ben
    -

I think when Claude says 'e-mail me and I'll send it to you' he actually thinks 'well this will shut them up.'

As for the histograms, I can't tell you that either (don't know why Im replying really). I don't think it's vitally important, more just a point he is comfortable with and a trend he has come up with over time. After all, the stopwatch tells the ultimate story. If there is a huge difference in bump and rebound which we didn't expect, then I'd be a little suspect.

But overall I just look at the histrogram more to see the resulting differences after a shock setting change, not to look at it and say, 'we need more/less of .....' But then again, I'm not a race engineer either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lukin:
    I think when Claude says 'e-mail me and I'll send it to you' he actually thinks 'well this will shut them up.'

As for the histograms, I can't tell you that either (don't know why Im replying really). I don't think it's vitally important, more just a point he is comfortable with and a trend he has come up with over time. After all, the stopwatch tells the ultimate story. If there is a huge difference in bump and rebound which we didn't expect, then I'd be a little suspect.

But overall I just look at the histrogram more to see the resulting differences after a shock setting change, not to look at it and say, 'we need more/less of .....' But then again, I'm not a race engineer either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jason,

I think you're probably right. There was a guy from Jaguar Racing on the course when I went, and Claude just couldn't convince him in any way shape or form why we should care how symmetrical a damper histogram should be.

Superficially the idea is appealing and I'm sure Claude wouldn't advocate it if he hadn't made a lot of racing cars go quicker using it. Claude talks about taking a scientific approach to racing and I'd like to know what the hypothesis is in this case.

Ben
    -

What are they histograms of? damper position or velocity?
    UNM FSAE 2003 to 2005

Sorry - velocity.

Ben
    -

I was there in 04, asked him for more explanation, he said he'd email me a more detailed mathematic explanation, I never recieved anything. I also didn't get the spreadsheet he said he'd send, but that's not so hard to make on your own, no big deal. I did try to email him about it and got no response.

I suspect it's his way of shutting people up. It's interesting to see that other people have reached the same conclusion.
    Michigan Technological University Formula SAE Alumni

yeah, i emailed him (not about dampers) and never got a response, but i think someone else at WWU talked to him through email.
    jack
    College dropout extraordinaire
    (formerly WWU Rev-Hone Racing)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ben:
    ... what is other people's understanding of why damper histograms should be symmetrical?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dampers are "crutches" that you put on a car when its suspension is not quite right.

If you have a broken leg then you can run faster with crutches under each arm. If one crutch is shorter than the other, then you hobble around in circles. Symmetrical crutches are better...

Of course, if you have healthy "suspension", then you go faster with no crutches at all.

(Hint: Would a really clever "active" suspension need any damping? Remember, damping = friction.)

Z

What exactly is wrong with friction here?

And you're trying to be funny when you say dampers are crutches, right?
    Lehigh Formula SAE 1999-2004

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast